Tuesday, 16 June 2015

Charred Cauliflower 'Steaks' with Green Harissa Lentils

At the weekend, I made vegan Cauliflower 'steaks'   for our Sunday Roast dinner.  It made quite a light and healthy change from traditional Sunday Vegetarian Roast dinner, not that we have vegetarian Roast dinner with all the trimmings every Sunday, but when we do - we make an occasion of it. 
In the past I've doused cauliflower steaks with red harissa, but this time it was accompanied with Puy style lentils and new potatoes coated in lush green fragrant harissa.

I enjoyed every mouth full and the cauliflower 'steak' was cooked to perfection, still holding a bit of crunch and bite.  I also liked that it was charred a little more here and there.    
We had quite a bit of the Green Harissa Lentils and New Potato salad left over, so it was shared between two lunch boxes and taken into work the following day for lunch.  For this reason I am sharing it with No Croutons Required co hosted by Lisa's Kitchen and Tinned Tomatoes. 

Cauliflower Steaks with Green Harissa Lentils and New Potato Salad
Serves 4 depending on accompaniments
Ingredients for the Cauliflower Steaks
I cauliflower
1-2 tablespoon olive oil
Salt and pepper
Pre-heat oven to 180oc/Gas mark 5 middle shelf.
Wash and remove the outer leaves from the cauliflower, leave the core in tact and rinse clean.
Slice the cauliflower into 1/2 to 3/4 inch thickness and cut through carefully to the base.  
Lay on a non-stick baking sheet and brush with the oil. 
Season with salt and pepper.
Roast for 25 - 35 minutes or until tender.  It is ready when you can pierce a fork through it without much pressure.      
Or follow this link for different directions on how to make.
For the Green Harissa 
Follow this recipe
For the Lentila and New Potato Salad
200g Puy lentils or Puy style (Brown Lentils), cook until tender.  Drain and set aside
1 packet of new potatoes, cook until  soft, drain and set aside.
When the potatoes and lentils are cooked, coat with 4 - 6 tablespoons of the green harissa.
Serve with the cauliflower steaks. 


  1. Shaheen,
    This is a really mouth-watering recipe/dish.
    Wow - I can't wait to try this.
    Have a Wonderful Day!
    Peace :)

    1. Chandra. it really is delicious and I recommend it.

  2. I'm trying to cut out meat from my diet and this sounds just my kind of meal!
    Thank you for sharing! xxx

    1. I hope you get round to making it, it will surely be well worth it - well I think so, and so easy too.

  3. A very nice dish, I'll need to try this too!

    1. You have to like coriander though, i love the herb.


If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You