Tuesday, 23 June 2015

Green Harissa Poached Eggs with Aubergines

After the success with the Turmeric Butter Beans dish, I decided to make another egg dish, this time with my home-made green harissa.  

Oh yum, yum.  It was lush I tell you lush. 
I actually made this dish at the weekend for brunch, it seems more fitting somehow.  The aubergine is optional.  It adds a 'meaty' texture, but is not essential.  You can also add whatever bean you wish, I love chickpeas, but this time added some brown lentils to the dish. 

I am sharing this with Belleau Kitchen for Simply Eggcellent: Anything Goes Challenge; and Tinned Tomatoes for Meat Free Mondays;.and  My Legume Love Affair 84 which was started by Susan of The Well Seasoned Cook and nowadays Lisa of Lisa's Kitchen is the administrator.  The host this month is Seduce Your Tastebuds as brown lentils bulk up this dish, though hidden under the coriander green tomato sauce.
Green Harissa Poached Eggs with Aubergines
Serves 4 - 6
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 aubergine, diced
2 tablespoon olive oil
1 onion, finely sliced
2 garlic cloves, crushed
400g tomatoes, chopped
4 - 6 tablespoon green harissa plus extra for serving
400g cooked beans ie brown lentils, puy lentils, chickpeas or white beans
100ml vegetable stock
Salt and pepper to taste
4 - 6 eggs
Coat the aubergine in the oil and place in oven and bake for 20 - 30 minutes in a preheated oven until soft and golden.  Set aside.

Heat the oil in a wide pan, add onion and garlic and cook until soft. Stir in the tomatoes and stock and cook on medium heat until thick, then stir in the green harissa, aubergine and beans and stir well. Taste and tweak seasoning if necessary, then make 4 - 6 wells in the pan and crack the eggs into them and put the lid on.  Cook until the eggs begin to set, this may take up to 10 minutes.  
Serve immediately with toast or crusty bread and extra green harissa.


  1. If I made this, I would have left overs as most nights I eat solo. How long would it keep?

    1. Hi e. I think it would be good for 4 days as long as the base is kept refrigerated. I would not poach the egg on it, until the day you wish to eat it - that part you could certainly do as you wish to eat it.

  2. Lovely, I can imagine this being smashing on a thick piece of crunchy toast!

  3. Cool recipe, Shaheen.
    I wonder if could replace the eggs with Greek Yogurt, for fun.
    Have a Wonderful Day!
    Peace :)

    1. Thanks Chandra. It is really delicious. Yes, do replace the eggs with Greek yogurt or the natural yogurts that you can often find in South Asian grocers.

  4. I'm loving the idea of baking eggs this way... it looks so healthy and tasty and fulfilling! I love this dish, thanks for linking with Simply Eggcellent x

    1. Me too Dom, hence the reason I've made it twice in one month. Thank you so much.

  5. Hi Shaheen! I have posted the roundup of MLLA here...Do take a look :)


    Thanks for your participation in the event ...


If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You