Friday, 19 June 2015

Laverbread, Samphire and Seaweed Flakes Also Known as 'Sea Vegetable' Quiche with Perl Las

One of the prettiest Quiches I have ever made.  Strewn with samphire spears, sprinkled with sea flakes and hidden under the pillowy creamy cheese softness, you will find a thin layer of Welsh laverbread on the still crisp pastry crust. 

When I went to Swansea Vegfest we also went to Swansea Market. Swansea Market is absolutely thriving.  There is a positive vibe and buzz in the air with the jostling and bustling  - not an empty stall in sight.  I brought back home some samphire known fondly as asparagus of the sea and some fresh laverbread (known in Wales as Welshman's Caviar); and some Perl Las cheese.  I knew exactly what I wanted to make with these ingredients as a recipe for 'Sea Vegetable' Quiche has been in the planning.  
At home I  also had some  Atlantic Kelp Organic Seaweed Flakes (see below) courtesy of Suma Wholefoods, but I had to wait for the samphire and laverbread that are not so easy to come by, even though I live in the Welsh valleys, but travel a little closer to the coastline then you have may just be able to acquire some. And the decision to add Perl Las to the quiche was well rather poetic as Perl Las translates as Blue Pearl.  Perfect and a bit corny at the same time. 

The Sea Vegetable Quiche was absolutely lovely.  It tasted of the sea, you know that taste on your lips when you have been at the beach....but I have to add it is a bit of an acquired taste.  I think most people will not mind the salty samphire and the seaweed flakes, but the laverbread - well that is where it comes to personal taste.  I don't love laverbread, but I don't mind it now and again.  I have one little regret and that is not showing you a cut slice of this gorgeous quiche, as it was very pretty inside - flecked. 


Sea Vegetable Quiche with Perl Las Cheese
Serves 8 as an accompaniment
Ingredients
Blind baked shortcrust pastry lining a 8 - 9 inch fluted tin
For the filling
100g samphire, blanched, drained and set aside
1 x 120g tin of laverbread (optional)
250ml - 300ml double cream
3 eggs
2 teaspoons Atlantic Kelp Organic Seaweed Flakes
100g  Welsh Perl Las cheese, crumbled
Salt and pepper to taste
Method 
In a bowl, pour the double cream, then whisk in the eggs, and the seaweed flakes and season to taste. Set aside
Carefully and evenly spread over the laverbread on the shortcrust pastry.
Scatter over the blanched samphire evenly over the blind baked shortcrust pastry.
Pour over the creamy egg  seaweed flaked mixture.
Then evenly scatter over the crumbled cheese.
Bake gas mark 4/180oc for 40 - 45 minutes or until golden. 
Allow to cool, before serving. 
 I am sharing this Sea Vegetable Quiche with Dom over at Belleau Kitchen for Simply Eggcellent: Anything Goes Challenge; and Elizabeth's Kitchen for Shop Local Food Blogging Challenge as many of the ingredients used here are local to Wales.   As a member of the Suma Bloggers Network, I will receive a selection of complimentary products every two months, to use in recipe development and will blog original recipes for the Network. 
  

18 comments:

  1. I do love the look of this quiche... i've only ever cooked with smasher once before and that was a quiche too and I adored it. Love your pastry too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much Dom. I saw your quiche, interesting that it includes mushrooms. Samphire is quite salty, but combined in a quiche the flavour is balanced.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely, imaginative recipe Shaheen. I bet the saltiness of the sea vegetables works really well with the egg.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. The eggs and the sea veg really do compliment each other

      Delete
  4. Lovely looking quiche! Also love all ideas and seaweed! Wondering if I could do one with the Japanese seaweed I have... hmm Thanks for the inspiration! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely looking quiche! Love all the ideas and seaweed! Wondering if I could use my japanese seaweed in the same way.. Thanks for the inspiration! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for BOTH comments, really appreciate it. Yes I think it would work with Japanese seaweed,

      Delete
  6. that does look pretty - do you have a picture of what laverbread looks like on your blog - it is something that intrigues me but I hold no hope of finding it here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. In the first paragraph there is a link to the laverbread, but not opened. I will be making something else with laverbread soon including Welsh Laverbread caviar that I made last year but never got to showcase - so promise to show you what it looks like fresh too. Your right unlikely you will find it in Australia. You know I would be more than happy to send you some, let me know via e mail - it would be my pleasure.

      Delete
  7. Beautiful quiche! I tried Perl las cheese after reading about it in the Guardian, it must have been in one of Ottolenghi's or Slater's recipes. Very imaginative recipe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Galina,
      so nice to hear form you. Do hope your well. Yes Perl Las, its lovely. I am lucky to find it at most places in Wales.

      Delete
  8. The recipe sounds delicious. I will try a Quiche next time I have samphire.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Anca, samphire really works in a quiche - hope you like.

      Delete
  9. Wow, this looks great for a special occasion. I am still to try samphire, and lava bread actually. Always good to have new flavours to try :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Amy. Yes, worth making for a special occasion or just to try something different. Do try samphire, its lovely - sea asparagus as I'd like to call it, i actually prefer it to the trad. asparagus.

      Delete
  10. I'm a big fan of seaweed and I love the sound of this quiche so much! I've never tried laverbread but I'd be keen to, at least once! Thank you for sharing your lovely recipe with the #ShopLocalChallenge!

    ReplyDelete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You