Monday, 29 June 2015

Big Juicy Strawberries for Strawberry Slices

I seem to be sharing my strawberries with not just the usual garden birds, but also a stunning Jay bird in the garden.  The number of strawberries I've picked that have a sharp razor beak mark in them, made me smile.  I am not resenting the birds in my garden at all - there are plenty of strawberries for them and for me (its the slugs I resent). 
As well as enjoying them fresh, I've made loads of recipes with them.  However the one I am about to share had been a bit of a fail.  These strawberry slices tasted good, but were rather floppy, lacking body.  Perhaps some almonds scattered over the top or a jam layer beneath the strawberries would have made them more substantial.  If your (still) interested in trying them for yourself or even just curious to see the recipe, then follow this link for the recipe, its adapted from my Rhubarb Streusel Crumblee slices.

I am sharing these fresh big and juicy Strawberries with Daphne's Dandelions for Harvest Mondays

18 comments:

  1. Those strawberries look delicious! I always tell people that you haven't tasted a strawberry until you've tasted a freshly harvested strawberry (and preferably homegrown without all those nasty pesticides!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true, these are rather sweet.

      Delete
  2. These do look very good, I'm sure they can't be called a fail!

    I love the strawberry season, so many tasty things to make. However I've been enjoying mine mainly fresh from the plant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A little floppy, but tasty nonetheless.
      Agree best enjoyed fresh, but there are only so many fresh strawberries we can eat :)

      Delete
  3. So pretty! Looks delicious too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I pulled my strawberry plants last year (100??) as they were getting out of control. But I kept the best dozen ... which have provided me all of two berries. So I bought some from a local farm. Those bars certainly look good, but I know what you mean about needing some "body".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow Susie, that is a lot of plants to pull out, shame those you kept hardly produced. Hopefully next year will be better.

      Delete
  5. OOOhhhh Yum yum yum! Yes please!!
    We have a couple of Jays who visit our garden and also a Green Woodpecker although they seem to be after the ants! I would much rather have a glut of strawberries than ants..... but hey.... the birds enjoy them!
    Loving the look of these strawberry slices.... I can almost smell them!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kate, the Jays are remarkable, wow you also get a green woodpecker. We had a woodpecker once when we lived in Glasgow, not seen any here, though I am sure there are some as our place backs onto a forest of sorts. Yeah ants, in my last place i had ants that were biting me, wish i had birds to eat them.

      Delete
  6. Well even if it didn't have the structure you wanted I bet it tasted good. It certainly looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi😊 they look really nice; wonder if they'd be good with a thick strawberry chia jam inside?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny you should say that, as I have made strawberry chia jam with some of the strawberries, hope to share the recipe later this week.

      Delete
  8. Those look awesome!

    ~Have a lovely day!

    ReplyDelete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You