Sunday, 14 June 2015

Strawberry Flapjacks

Not quite summer yet, but the strawberries in my garden are beginning to reward us slowly.  I harvested a good handful a few days back.  

D was hinting that he would like something sweet in his lunch box for work to snack on like flapjacks or muffins.  Truth is I've been a bit slack making both.  I used to make them on a regular basis as neither of us has breakfast in the morning, especially on working days and this was a good way to address that gap in our diet.  Well this time round I was more than happy to to the hint.  
As I only had a good handful of strawberries, I sliced them thinly  for a couple of reasons.  To make them stretch, but also I did not want the juices to make the flapjack soggy, just add enough moisture and natural strawberry flavour.  They were simple, summery and lovely, I think though they could have done with a drizzle of white chocolate just to make them appeal to the eye more, but they were perfect for filling that hunger pang in the morning.  



Strawberry Flapjacks
7 x 11 inch baking tin lined with baking parchment paper or equivalent
Ingredients
150g butter
4 tablespoons golden syrup
350g jumbo rolled oats
100g sugar (preferably soft brown sugar)
Good handful of fresh strawberries, sliced thinly
Method
Preheat oven to gas mark 4.
Melt the butter and golden syrup in a saucepan over medium heat.
In a large bow, stir the oat with the sugar, then pour in the melted buttery golden syrup and gently stir, then fold in the sliced strawberries - being careful not to squish too much.
Press the strawberry coated oaty mixture into the lined baking tin.  
Place in the oven gas mark 4/180oc and bake for 25 - 30 minutes or until golden brown.  
Cool in the tin, then cut into bars.
I am sharing this recipe with Credit Crunch Munch initiated by Fab Food For All and Fuss Free Flavours.   This month it is hosted by Jen's Food.

15 comments:

  1. They're pretty eye catching even without the white chocolate! I love strawberry flapjacks.

    Vegetarian Courtesy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Simple and they sound delicious Shaheen! Thanks for sharing...

    I'm not back to blogging yet but I am going to try to do an update post this week. In the mean time, I'll be pinnning this yumminess. Strawberries are just beginning to flow here too. Good luck with your crop:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They certainly are simple and I hope to make more of them.

      I hope all is well in your little world Louise and thank you so much for taking the time to come on over, most appreciated. I harvested another bowl this evening, got to get my strawberry thinking chefs hat on.

      Delete
  3. Now, these I can handle.
    They look delish and not too high in sugar.
    Thanks for the recipe.
    Have a Wonderful Day, Shaheen!
    Peace :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Chandra, not too high in sugar as some of flapjacks have been in the past. Hope your well.

      Delete
    2. Chandra I was thinking of your over the weekend, there was a Velothon in South Wales - and you being a cyclist, well...I could imagine your there.

      Delete
  4. Looks delicious, pinned and going on the to try list! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. No there's a flavour combo I've never thought to do - love it! Thanks for a lush entry to #CreditCrunchMunch:-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've seen a few fruity flapjacks recently - must try some! these look lovely. thanks for linking up to #CreditCrunchMunch

    ReplyDelete
  7. These look really pretty with the strawberry peeking through the oats. Thanks for sharing with Credit Crunch Munch :)

    ReplyDelete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You