Sunday, 15 February 2015

Vegan Chocolate Beetroot Black Bean Chilli

Another Sunday pottering in the kitchen, and another day relying on store-cupboard ingredients.  

We really enjoying tucking into home-made vegetarian chilli , so that was on the menu again but with a few little changes, instead of the usual bell peppers; or pumpkin; or butternut squash.  I decided to throw in a couple of beetroots that had been sitting at the bottom of my fridge.  I had mentally bookmarked to make the lovely Lucy's Raw Beetroot Bliss Balls with the beetroot, but I actually still have some Raw Raspberry Coconut Balls in the freezer, so before I can make more to replace them, I need to demolish those that I already have, so the point is the beetroot was destined for a different recipe.  I also decided to finish off using the last of my dried chocolate habenero chillies that I picked up when I was in the city a few months back.  I mentioned in another post that the  chocolate habenero chilli  does have subtle chocolate undertones, and an earthy and spicy chilli kick.  If you cannot find chocolate habenero chilli where you are, worry not my lovely readers, you can still make my recipe at home, just see my suggestion below.
I have had a stash of  Suma Black Turtle Beans for a good while, so black beans tend to be the bean of my choice for vegetarian and vegan chillies, but I do now and again ring the changes, but I would not advise it for this recipe if you want it to look bold and dramatic.  No for this recipe, it has to be Black Turtle Beans, so called because of the black shiny smooth dark shell like appearance.  

I have made Chocolate Black Bean Chilli with real dark chocolate before, but it failed to impress me then, so I was happy to try again with some changes and I have to say, it was truly delightful. The Chocolate Beetroot Black Bean Chilli was really lovely and it will only get better as it steeps and the flavours enhance further.  I loved how the beetroot just coloured the entire dish. As it was Valentines weekend, I also decided to cut some of the beetroot in tiny heart shapes, I guess there is a little romantic soul in me after all.  
We have enjoyed the Chocolate Habenero Beetroot Black Bean Chilli with plain boiled Basmati rice.  However, there are lots of ways to enjoy this dish.  No doubt in the next few days it will be served as an Enchillada filling; maybe even with some tortilla crisps; or polenta chips or chickpea fries,; or simply presented in a bowl served with sliced of avocado and flavoured soured cream, maybe...   

If you have any left over, you could even whizz it up in a Blender and turn it into a luscious, deep red Chocolate Beetroot Black Bean Soup.  
If you like the sound of this, then you will love my Beetroot Chocolate Cake that also happens to be vegan too. 



As a member of the Suma Bloggers Network, I will receive a selection of complimentary products every two months, to use in recipe development and will blog original recipes for the Network.  I am also sharing this recipe with Elizabeth's Kitchen Diary who hosts No Waste Food Challenge; Emily at A Mummy Too for Recipe of the Week; Jacqueline at Tinned Tomatoes for No Croutons Required; and finally with  February's edition of My Legume Love Affair #80 .  MLLA was created by Susan of The Well Seasoned Cook.  It is now run by Lisa of Lisa's kitchen and guess what, I am the host this of MLLA this month. 

Chocolate Habenero Beetroot Black Turtle Bean Chilli
Serves 6 as an accompaniment
Ingredients
250g Suma black turtle beans, soaked for at least two hours.

2 medium beetroots, washed, top and back end sliced off (keep peel on)
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
3 medium onions, finely sliced (mixture of red and white is fine)
4 cloves garlic, crushed
2 - 3 Chocolate Habenero chillies, re hydrated, then minced OR 1 teaspoon red chilli flakes with 40g - 50g 70 percent dark chocolate grated OR TRY  1 tablespoon Suma cacao nibs or cacao powder

1 tablespoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1 x 400g can of tomatoes, chopped

1 - 2 pints vegetable stock (or reserved liquid from the black turtle beans liquor)
Salt and pepper to taste
Method
Fill a large pot with water and add the washed and drained black beans along with the beetroot and simmer in hot water until tender.  Drain and set aside. Reserve the black liquid. 
When the beetroot is cool, peel off the skin and chop into small cubes, set aside.
In a wide saucepan, heat the oil on medium heat.  
Add the onions and saute until the onions become soft.  Add the garlic, chilli and spices and cook until fragrant, then stir in the chopped tomatoes.  
Cover and cook until the tomatoes begin to disintegrate.  
Then stir in the beetroot and cook for 10 minutes, before stirring in the black beans, along with 1 pint of the black liquid.  Simmer on medium heat for 30 minutes or until the beans are proper tender,  top of with additional liquid if necessary.  Taste and adjust the seasoning if necessary.
Chocolate Habenero Beetroot Black Turtle Bean Soup
Using a hand blender, blitz to a thick puree or desired consistency.  
Reheat and serve.

17 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, I have to try this! My husband isn't very fond of beets but I think he'll like this one. Thank you for sharing! This has everything I love: beets, chili beans, and chocolate.<333


    Vegetarian Courtesy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Adi. I do hope you try it, its really yummy.

      Delete
  2. what a beautiful chilli - I love the beetroot hearts and agree that it looks stunning with the black beans - never heard of chocolate habenero chillis - must have missed it when you last mentioned it but I do love the sound of it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Johanna. I am really glad you like it, the hearts are really for the month of love <3 I was surprised to find chocolate habenero chilli too, and was curious to try it - does have subtle chocolate flavours, but if one cannot find it - I have offered alternative suggestion

      Delete
  3. Nice recipe, I have not tried black beans. I will try to get black bean here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think its a really lovely bean and its the one I use mostly in all my chilli based recipes. Hope you can find some where you are

      Delete
  4. The way you cut the beets into hearts is adorabel!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that you cut the beets into hearts. So special.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so so much Brenda. Does add something special, <3

      Delete
  6. I've got some beetroots in store that need using up - this sounds lovely and I may even get it past my meat-eating younger son without too many complaints! #NoFoodWasteChallenge

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh do try it and let me know your verdict. We loved it. You could even blitz it and make soup.

      Delete
    2. Will do - off to pin this to my "Food for the Future" board.

      Delete
  7. The heart shaped beetroot is so adorable, I love that you went to all that effort. It makes it so extra special x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a gorgeous recipe! Love those heart shaped beetroots too, ha! Thank you for sharing with the no waste food challenge, and apologies for taking so long to visit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Elizabeth, this is perhaps one of my favourite recipes of the year. The hearts took a little time to make, but worth it for the romantic love touch.

      Delete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You