Wednesday, 4 February 2015

Spring Greens Gratin with Vegan Soul

I made this Potato Gratin with Spring Greens at the weekend.  The recipe made a good portion and served us during the working week as well.  The recipe comes from Vegan Soul Kitchen.  I had not planned on making this winter gratin, looking more favourably at some of the other belly warming recipes, but when I found myself with some spring greens that I described in a  previous post as winter greens, I wondered what to with it.  I haven't been fancying seasonal cabbage or broccoli, so spring greens have been arriving in our grocery shop the past few weeks and I have to say I have not mind eating it, though I have to admit I have had to be more creative with it, than just steaming it and then smothering in garlicky warm oil. 
So stumbling on this recipe whilst flicking through the Vegan Soul Kitchen one evening was good.  Its not a dish that you just knock up, it has processes and it takes a little love and time, so I recommend making this at the weekend, when you may have more time to potter in the kitchen.    
I really liked the spice coating on the potatoes which was made up with chilli flakes, chilli powder, oregano, thyme, sea salt and some olive oil.  Baked until just tender.  
Here the potatoes are layered, then topped with garlicky Spring greens, then the layers are repeated, before the panko breadcrumbs are sprinkled over, some non dairy milk is poured over  first and then allowed to bake until crisp and golden.  
I have a hard copy of Vegan Soul Kitchen cookbook and followed the recipe word for word , so won't republish it here, but if you do-not have a copy of your own or cannot find it at your local library, you can find the original recipe for  Roasted Potato and Mixed Greens Gratin From Vegan Soul Kitchen by Bryant Terry here.  Scroll down on this peek  preview into the contents of his cookbook and you will find the recipe on p122 . The only changes I made were very minor and served more as substitutes rather than an adaptation, I used soy milk in place of rice milk and I used spring greens in place of the collard greens and mustard greens. However, if the lovely Mr Terry does stumble upon my blog and grant me permission to post the recipe on my blog, then I am more than happy to do so - until then...if you are interested in this cuisine, then try and get your mitts on the cookbook.  I have his new book Afro-Vegan on my wish list. I am sharing this post with Bookmarked Recipes hosted by Jacqueline at Tinned Tomatoes.  

10 comments:

  1. I agree with you that the herb/spice mix on those potatoes sounds really good. We usually eat Spring Greens plainly and separately, so it is interesting to see them being used as an ingredient within another dish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could eat the potatoes just like that. I have been using spring greens in other dishes, rather than a side dish - makes for more interesting eating.

      Delete
  2. Two weeks ago we had a Vegan Soul Kitchen potluck birthday party for a friend. It was amazing to try so many different dishes from that book. Its a good one. I've not tried this one though! Yum. No spring greens here yet, but soon, I hope.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow, I have bookmarked a few others so more to come for sure.

      Delete
  3. we don't have spring greens so I am never quite sure what they are - it looks like a lovely warming dish

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will try and show you what they look like the next time I cook with them, but not this week - we have curly kale!

      Delete
  4. Oh I really fancy that Shaheen. I'm really missing drooling over everyone's recipes. I am so time starved at the moment. Thanks for entering it into Bookmarked Recipes, the roundup is now live

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah - I'm definitely pinning this for when I'm a bit more generous on time - this looks so tasty!

    ReplyDelete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You