Tuesday, 10 February 2015

Sweet Potato and Cheese Bake

Its been a longish working day.  As I had worked through my lunch break, one bonus from the day was that I was home a little earlier, which mean't I had a little more time to potter in the kitchen. These days when I get in from work, I just want to put something relatively quick on the table like pasta, unless of course I had prepped something over the weekend, then it is much more considered.  
Anyway, I had already mentally bookmarked a recipe that had been submitted to Vegetable Palette last month by Anne at Anne's Kitchen; and as I had most of the ingredients, I went ahead and made it. By the time D got home, it was pretty much ready to serve up. D was delighted with this sweet and savoury  warming orange glow of a dish, moreso as its been a while since I made a cheesy bake.  

As I was following Veganuary last month it impacted on him quite a bit, as anything I was cooking or baking  was completely vegan for January, but he did not grumble once.  Bless. I think he is quietly glad now that is is February.  Funny though, as a lot of the dishes I make happen to be vegan, in fact I would go as far as saying that 90 percent of what I make at home is accidentally vegan, but I will keep that hush.  
The recipe below makes a rather big portion, perfect for a little family or friends, but no so much for a couple, so we will be tucking into this tomorrow too.    

Sweet Potato and Cheese Bake
Serves 4 - 6 with accompaniments
1kg thinly sliced sweet potatoes
1 red onion, finely sliced
200g cheese (I used Blacksticks Blue), crumbled
4  eggs (but I think 6 would have been better) 
2 teaspoon oregano
Salt and pepper to taste
In a gratin style dish, layer the sweet potatoes, alternating with the red onions, and cheese.  
Then in a large bowl, whisk the eggs with the oregano, salt and pepper to taste
Pour over the batter.
Bake in the oven for 35 - 40 minutes or until bubbling and golden and a knife can easily be pierced through the sweet potato.
Serve with spring greens or other green vegetables. 
Adapted from Anne's Kitchen blog. 


  1. Sort of a sweet potato quiche then? Can this be frozen once cooked?

    1. Yes, my thoughts too. I personally would't freeze this as its quite soft, but you could try it. I rarely freeze food as we eat with within a few days between the two of us, so cannot advise sorry.

  2. Sounds like a good comforting bake - I think E feels the same about me making a cheesy bake - in fact he sometimes has slices of cheese on the side of his plate

    1. Def. comforting. Ah your and my D should get together :)

  3. It looks great! Glad to be of inspiration too! I love your addition of blue cheese but I can't get away with it when cooking for both of us!


If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You