Tuesday, 3 February 2015

Three Seed Coconut Facon Bacon Nibbles

I know the non-vegetarian and non-vegan readers of my blog may be a bit flummoxed by this entry, but please stick with it, as the flavour combinations may just tempt you to make these light nibbles at home, but for some of the veggies amongst us these light nibbles mimic the flavour of smoky bacon (not replace it).

I have been happily making vegan 'facon 'bacon at home for years now and make it almost every month, but I've been wanting to try coconut bacon for a while.  I can't remember the first time I had heard about it, but I was constantly reminded of it by Johanna at Green Gourmet Giraffe as she was more proactive in trying new recipes at home, whereas I would just bookmark them and forget them.  Well, this recipe has been bookmarked long enough that I actually got motivated to making it this weekend, but having seen Johanna's variation with nuts, I was further inspired and thought I would chuck in some seeds instead that have been in my kitchen cupboards for a year (still in date by the way).  
Oh my, they are very moreish.  In fact D loves these toasted sweet smoky seedy munchies and has been taking a small container into work filled to the brim.  I think he has nearly finished the jar and its not even halfway through the week yet.  You know what this means, I will be making them again for sure.  I was thinking about making Sweet and Salty Coconut Bacon for my Friday Nights, just a matter of time.
A fellow blogger suggested scattering them over salads as well for crunch, makes sense have you heard of 'bacon flavour bits' which by the way also happens to be vegan.  Who'duh funk it.  

Three Seed Coconut Bacon Nibbles
100g coconut flakes
50g pumpkin seeds
25g sunflower seeds
25g sesame seeds
2 tablespoons Tamari sauce or soy sauce
2 tablespoon maple syrup
2 teaspoon liquid smoke
1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
Pinch of salt
Preheat oven to gas mark 160oc. In a large bowl stir all the ingredients together until well coated, then tip into a baking tray lined with baking parchment paper.  
Bake for about 8 minutes, then remove and give them a good stir , then toast for another 8 minutes or until lightly golden.  
Keep an eye on it as it goes from golden to charred very easily.  
Remove from the oven, allow to cool and store in an airtight container.  
I  am sharing this post with Elizabeth's Kitchen Diary for the No Waste Food Challenge as the seeds would have probably gone to the birds (I know how selfish of me to cook them for my belly) and Bookmarked Recipes hosted by Jacqueline at Tinned Tomatoes.  As I am thinking out of the box here, I am hoping it will also be accepted by The Tea Time Treats challenge hosted by Lavender & Lovage and The Hedgecombers as the theme is Toasted This recipe is inspired and adapted  from Johanna at Green Gourmet Giraffe.  Here is the original recipe, but I was inspired further by another recipe to add the seeds see here


  1. They sound really good, a bit like munchy seeds which have a Tamari taste. Great on a savoury crumble too.

    1. Yes, they did remind me of them a little but these were more flavoursome and cheaper to make at home!

  2. They look delicious - glad you both enjoyed them - I love the addition of seeds too - such a great little snack - we are snacking on muesli at the moment which has lots of seeds in it to make sure we use them. Highly recommend you try the facon in chocolate bark for an amazing flavour sensation - though maybe a bit too moreish.

    1. Thank you Johanna. I really think D has single handedly polished them off. I will def. be making them again and take on board your choc recommendation, gosh i think he will love them, but i will wait for his verdict when I make them, but once again thank you for inspiring, hope to make the most of my bookmarked recipes this year.

  3. I've never heard of facon bacon before, but the coconut shreds makes it seem very tempting. :9
    I'll be bookmarking this recipe; thank you for sharing!


    1. You should try it Adi. Let me know if you do get round to making them in the future.

  4. Nice idea Shaheen and great flavours. Thanks for entering it into Bookmarked Recipes, the roundup is now live.

  5. I love the sound of this so much! What a fantastic recipe! My apologies to taking SO long to pop around to comment, and thanks for linking up with the #nowastefoodchallenge

    1. Thank you Elizabeth, the recipe was fantastic. No worries with the delay, good that life is keeping you busy. Thanks for hosting.


If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You