Friday, 20 February 2015

Sweet Potato Dauphinoise with Smoked Chilli Feta Cream

This Sweet Potato Dauphinoise is made without cream or milk and before you go 'ahhhhhh...'  In place of the the cream and/or milk, salty feta cheese is blitzed to a cram with smoked chilli paste, producing a deeply flavoured thick warming sauce.  
This dish pleased my husband very much on a number of accounts, but namely because it had feta cheese in it, one of his favourites.   I don't eat cheese much, but the flavour combinations in this one did excite me and it did not disappoint when it came to the eating either.   In fact I would go as far as describing this recipe as awesome too.  The sweetness from the potatoes balanced very well with the smoky chiilli and saltiness from the feta cheese.     
Ready to go into the oven to turn all golden and crispy
The smoky chilli flavour can also be achieved by adding a teaspoon of chilli powder with liquid smoke; or even at a push with smoked paprika, however I actually made it with a ready-made smoky chilli paste,  I  had completely forgotten about it, then whilst rummaging for some seeds I stumbled upon it.  The jar contained a couple of tablespoons of paste, enough for this recipe, it was last used for a Risotto recipe.   

Sweet Potato Dauphinoise with Smoked Chilli Feta Cream
Serves 4
4 large sweet potatoes, peeled and sliced thinly
2 medium red onions, finely sliced
150g feta cheese
A few sprigs of fresh thyme, remove from the stalky bit
100ml olive oil plus extra for greasing baking dish
2 tablespoons of this smoked chilli paste (scroll down blog post to see brand), otherwise use 1 teaspoon red chilli flakes and a couple of drops of liquid smoke OR 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
300ml vegetable stock
Salt and pepper to taste
Grease an ovenproof dish with some olive oil, then begin layering with the sliced sweet potato, then do this with the red onion, continuing with the sweet potato - continue this until finished
Then in a food processor, pulse together the feta cheese, thyme, olive oil, the smoked chilli paste (or chilli flakes and liquid smoke or smoked paprika) and stock. Blitz till creamy smooth, taste and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper.
Then evenly pour over the Sweet Potato and Red onion layers.
Cover with foil and bake in a preheated oven gas mark 4/180oc for 45 - 50 minutes or until the sweet potatoes are soft.  Remove the foil half way through the cooking process allowing it to turn golden on top.  
Serve immediately with spring greens or curly kale!
Adapted slightly from Thomasina Myers Wahaca Mexican Food at Home.


  1. Wow, nice recipe, me and my daughter are big fans of Feta Cheese.

  2. This just sounds like such a divine dish! The only problem is that my partner is quite the opposite and doesn't really care for feta at all. But if I can't convince him, this will definitely be cooked for myself!

    1. Maybe try subbing it with another cheese like goats cheese, I think it could work, maybe even ricotta. But more for you otherwise.

  3. Hi Shaheen!
    What a wonderful and delicious sounding recipe this is. I too adore Feta. I would think it would most likey make this recipe more diet friendly too:)

    Thank you so much for sharing, Shaheen. I'll be pinning for sure!

  4. I love the sound of this - love sweet potato and much prefer cheese to cream or milk! I don't eat feta much but bought some for fritters last week and it was so lovely that I am tempted to buy more. It is almost autumn and time for the weather to cool for this sort of dish so it is bookmarked!

    1. I never liked feta when I first had it but then acquired a taste for it. I hope you like this dish as much as I did when you get round to making it.

  5. I thought this sweet potato recipe was just wonderful & was looking fabulous so that is why I made it! xxx
    It was amazing! xxxx

    1. Thank you. I would love to see your version Sophie.


If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You