Sunday, 8 February 2015

Rhubarb and Custard Cream Cheese Bars

I have had a jar of Duerr's Rhubarb and Custard Jam in my kitchen cupboards for a few good months now, every time I went to use it something came up and then it went back into the cupboards.  I made a decision to bake with it this month, the so-called month of Love, and as my husband loves rhubarb (and custard), I thought I would make him a few delicious treats.  I have already made him Rhubarb and Custard doughnuts - that happen to be vegan and gluten free. 
However, these Rhubarb and Custard Bars are made with cream cheese.  I added a teeny bit of red food colouring to the cream cheese for the pink colouring, as I thought it would look a bit more pretty, and therefore more appealing, hope you agree - but obviously its all about the taste and that did not disappoint.  These bars are not overly sweet, just sweet enough.  They are a cross between a cereal bar and a cheesecake, so definitely one that is a little more luxurious than your average breakfast bar, and not good for the hips, tums and bums, but still very very nice.  
The Duerr's Rhubarb and Custard Jam smells very rhubarb and when you close your eyes and taste it, it really does really taste like those hard boiled retro Rhubarb and Custard sweets - tangy rhubarb and smooth creamy custard.  I loved how it maintained it soft gooey texture once baked, as others I have used in the past burn or become really chewy.   And guess what, its suitable for vegans.  I am sharing some of these Rhubarb and Custard Cream Cheese Bards with Recipe of the Week hosted by Emily at A Mummy Too.

Rhubarb and Custard Cream Cheese Bars
Makes about 8 - 10
You will require 1 x 7 x 9 inch tin lined with baking parchment paper
125g jumbo rolled oats
130g plain flour
100g golden caster sugar
1 tablespoon custard powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
110g unsalted butter, chopped into small cubes
1 tub of cream cheese, about 260g
Optional: tiny drop of red food colouring
50g golden caster sugar
1 egg yolk
Jar of Duerr's Rhubarb and Custard Jam, about 280g or thereabouts (or equivalent).
In a large bowl, stir together the oats, flour, sugar, custard powder and salt. Then add in the cubed butter and work through the mixture until moist and crumbly. 
Weigh out 300g of the mixture and press into the lined tin.
In another bowl, whisk together the cream cheese, sugar, red food colouring and egg yolk.  
Pour over the  pressed base, then splodge over the jam, spread with a fork for it to be distributed evenly if necessary. 
Finally, sprinkle over the remaining oaty-floury mixture over the cream cheese and rhubarb-custard jam topping.  Bake in a preheated oven gas mark 4/180oc for about 30 minutes.  
The jam will be oozing and bubbling when it if first removed from the oven, don't worry about this.  
Let is cool down,  then transfer to a fridge, preferably overnight for it to chill.  
Remove from the tin and parchment paper and slice and enjoy.  


  1. Lucky hubby! these sound sooooo good - I love anything with rhubarb!

  2. I really want a taste of this custard and to know how they make it (is it something that could be made at home, does it have egg in it - I guess not if you used it in the vegan doughnuts) - these bars sound lovely - and doesn't valentines day require a bit more decadence than your average bar!

    1. I should have said (up-dated blog post) it is suitable for vegans.
      I've made heart shaped ones too, will share on Saturday :)
      PS I am gonna send you a quick e mail, so pleas check your inbox

  3. Ooh, I love rhubarb and custard, these sound so lovely!

    1. Lovely to hear from you littleveganbear, it truly is good to hear from you when i do.

  4. These look delicious for Valentine's Day!

  5. Yummy!
    Hope you can Email some to the States :)
    Have a Beautiful Day!
    Peace :)

    1. Thanks Chandra, I think you mean use Star Treks transporter machine and beam some to you :) I wish I could


If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You