Friday, 6 February 2015

Communists Love Rhubarb and Custard Doughnuts/Donuts

This is the first time I have ever made doughnuts or donuts if your in the USA, and vegan and gluten free ones to boast further. Although I am very pleased with on how they turned out, I'm not 100% happy sharing the recipe as it may need a little tweaking.  

You see the original recipes used xanthum gum, an ingredient that appears on lots of gluten free pastry and baked goods recipes.  I did not have any, so I made these doughnuts without it.  Its omission did not seem to do any harm to the recipe, but how would I really know having not made these before.  
Anyway, in half of them I dolloped a teaspoon of Duerrs Rhubarb and Custard Jam into the batter of each doughnut just as they were to go into the oven: and in the other half, only once baked I injected the Rhubarb and Custard Jam with an icing syringe setWell let me tell you, I now know why jams are not put into the doughnuts whilst baking, they burst or burn into the moulds. As this Rhubarb and Custard Jam's consistency was a little thicker, I used one of the larger nozzles to inject the jam into the finished doughnut.  A word of advise, this icing syringe is great for injecting jam into regular size doughnuts, but is not necessarily good for intricate icing of cookies like gingerbread men.   

D really liked these doughnuts and said that they were moist and had the consistency of deep-fried doughnut, even though these were baked in the oven.  The doughnuts got further praise from one of my brothers who actually sent me a text the following evening describing them as 'delicious - please make more', so they must have been A okay. 
As I said, this was my first time making vegan gluten free doughnuts, so I hope to make them again, with similar results, so I err  a little on the side of caution when I share the recipe below which is adapted from Babycakes. If you don't have this Rhubarb and Custard Jam, then substitute with another jam or try something different like banoffee curd or even my own creation of Rhubarb Hibiscus Butter , just remember to omit the custard powder from the recipe below.    I am sharing some of these doughnuts with Bake of the Week hosted by Casa Costello.


Vegan Rhubarb and Custard Doughnuts/Donuts
Makes 12 large ones or around 18 - 20 mini ones
Ingredients
100g rice flour
40g chickpea flour
70g potato flour
30g arrowroot
2 tablespoons vegan custard powder
11/2 teaspoon baking powder
pinch of salt
1/4 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
1/2 teaspoon xanthum gum
160g caster sugar
75g vegetable oil
50g applesauce
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
75ml-100ml hot water
12 - 16 teaspoons from a Jar of Duerrs Rhubarb and Custard Jam 
Extra  caster sugar and red sugar for coating 
Method
Preheat oven to gas mark 3/180o.
Sift the rice flour, chickpea flour, potato flour, arrowroot, custard powder, baking powder, salt and bicarb soda, xanthum gum into a large bowl, then stir in the sugar.  Then add in the oil, applesauce, vanilla and the hot water slowly and mix until the ingredients are well combined.
Spoon batter into the lightly greased doughnut moulds.  
Bake in oven for 15 - 18 minutes or until they are golden and risen or firm to the touch.  
Allow to cool in the moulds for a few minutes, before turning out onto a wire cooling tray.
Inject the jam into the doughnuts, (it will be harder to do for the small ones - so just dollop a bit of of the jam on top).  
Dip in the sugar, best done whilst still warm.  Adapted from Babycakes - Covers the Classics by Erin McKenne. 

12 comments:

  1. I have only tried making doughnuts once and they went wrong. Yours look great. Rosezeeta.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much RoseZeeta.
      I am real nervous about sharing the recipe here, but hope to make them again.

      Delete
  2. Wow...would love to sample these as doughnut makers here look at me as if I have three heads when I ask if they have a gluten free alternative.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So good to hear from you e.
      I guess GF ones are a little more costly to make, so not always available, I mean vegan ones are still hard to come by too. Slowly but surely it will be more readily available.

      Delete
  3. Hi Shaheen!
    I think you did a terrific job preparing these doughnuts and I didn't even get to taste one! I'm going to pin this recipe for my daughter to try. My grandson is on a restricted diet but I'm pretty sure he can have these ingredients!

    Thank you so much for sharing, and kudos to you for baking them instead of deep frying them:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Louise. I am hoping to make them again, perhaps with a dif. jammy filling.

      Delete
  4. They look very pretty - I don't know that I have ever had a gf doughnut but have had my fair share of the other kind and am very partial to the rhubarb and custard flavour combination. I have found a squeezy bottle like the one they sell for tomato sauce is very handy for squeezing jam into cooked doughnuts. My icing gun wasn't really up to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Johanna. I will try squeezy bottle next time as I do have a spare couple knocking about.

      Delete
  5. yummy! Been wanting to try something like this for a while now- so thanks for posting. I have xanthan gum in my cupboard so will try them with that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. let me know how it turns out, I am hoping to make them again.

      Delete
  6. These sound really good! I'm impressed..... may just have to give them a go!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I want to bake them again and hope they turn out with similar results, but wa rather surprised with the result

      Delete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You