Wednesday, 11 February 2015

A Well Tasty Vegetarian Nut Loaf

It was only when Lou who blogs over at Rainbow Chard  made my  Za'atar Chickpea Loaf that I pleasantly stumbled upon her recipe for Chestnut Roast aka Chestnut, Walnut and Mushroom Nut Roast. I immediately requested the recipe and she was more than happy to share.  
So as if to repay to compliment, I finally went and made it at the weekend.  I did a few things differently but not in any way that would alter the recipe.  I just used a tin of pureed chestnuts instead of fresh, I used mixed nuts and finally, I made the nut roast in small individual baking tins featured in this post
The recipe was utterly gorgeous.  It had depth and was wonderfully flavoured with lots of different textures, from the crunch of the nuts, the softness of the sweet savoury chestnut puree and richness from the cheddar cheese.   It will be appearing on my table in the near future again. Follow this link for the recipe.  As this recipe was bookmarked from Rainbow Chard blog, I am sharing this post with Bookmarked Recipes hosted by Jacqueline at Tinned Tomatoes.  

10 comments:

  1. This really seems like a great recipe, and the nut roast season isn't over yet either! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, nut roast season is still not over - still a chill in the air.

      Delete
  2. It looks lovely - does it slice well - notice it does not have any breadcrumbs which usually makes loaves softer in my experience - have bookmarked it to try though I don't come across chestnut puree often - even the place I knew where to buy it over my side of town has closed recently

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Johanna, I would line the tin and then allow it to cool before slicing it, if too warm, it does not slice well. The original recipe uses fresh chestnuts, so maybe follow that, rather than with chestnut puree, I just have a few tins in my cupboard from Christmas. But it is packed with flavour and one I will make again for sure, but probably in a different guise,

      Delete
  3. Hi Shaheen,
    This type of a loaf is one of my favorites.
    We have a recipe for the chickpea loaf, but for some reason it was crumbly.
    We will likely try the recipe you have posted.

    BTW - The Malaysian Curry recipe (with sweet potato) is a major hit. My wife has been kind enough to make these dishes for me, while I haven't cooked in a long time. I even shared some with two of my coworkers. So, thanks to you, we too eat well these days, you know? :)

    Have a Beautiful Day!
    Peace :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some recipes have to be tried and adapted before they turn out perfect, so pls do persevere with your Chickpea Loaf.
      Oh I am so pleased the Malay Curry was a hit with you and you are so lucky to have a wife that makes dishes you wish to try, I hope your both well the the furry friends.

      Delete
  4. Thanks. I shall give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Vera. I do hope you enjoy it as much as I did .

      Delete
  5. Hey Shaheen, glad you liked the recipe! Yours looks absolutely delicious. Good idea to bake in small tins and I like the depth of your loaf too, shallower than mine.
    I agree that it's better to leave to cool before cutting as otherwise it can break apart. Making it shallower like yours probably helps too. I've used up all my chestnuts now, so might have to wait 'til the autumn to make it again, though I still have some loaf in the freezer from the second batch.
    Happy baking!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Loved the recipe Lou. Thank you. I have to admit, the pictured loaf was perhaps the most shallow of them all, the others had much more depth and I regret not taking a picture of those, as they were baked in a proper baking tin, whereas this one was the last and baked in a silicon cup. I def hope to make this again and maybe as you suggested ring the changes a little.

      Delete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You