Thursday, 19 February 2015

Apricot and Almond Muffins

I can't believe its been a long while since I shared with you all a muffin recipe, I am surprised really as I have been making them.  

These Apricot and Almond Muffins were actually made with fresh apricots, rather than dried ones.  I assure you I did not bring home the little golden fleshy balls out of season, D did, but I forgive him this time as he was good and ate most of them with Greek yogurt and honey.  There were only a few left in the fruit bowl that I decided to go ahead and bake with as all the other ingredients were close to hand.
Once out of the oven and cooled down, D took one bite and said'Yum, these are really nice'. He said they reminded him a little of frangipane tart but one made with apricots; and I have to agree.

Fresh Apricot and Almonds Muffins
Makes 12
280g self raising flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 bicarbonate soda

Pinch of fine salt
100g caster sugar

40g flaked almonds
1 egg, whisked
250g milk
90ml sunflower oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract (optional)
4 fresh apricots, stone removed and sliced
20g flaked almonds for topping
Preheat oven to gas mark 4/180oc.
In a large bowl, sift together the flour, baking and bicarbonate powder and salt. Then stir in the sugar and flaked almonds. 
In another bowl, whisk together the eggs. Then gently whisk in the milk, oil and vanilla extract until well combined. 

Gradually blend the two mixtures together, stir in the apricots until ingredients are well combined. 
Spoon the mixture into muffin cases. 
Evenly, scatter over the flaked almonds.
Bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes, or until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean. Leave the muffins to cook before removing out onto a wire cooling rack.  


  1. You surely don't need to feel too guilty - the apricots from the Southern Hemisphere are in season now, are they not? (Just ignore the extra food-miles!)

  2. They look really nice. Will have to try and make.

  3. apricot and almonds are such a winning combination - we had such cheap apricots just before christmas that I am loathe to buy the more expensive ones in the supermarket now but I do love fresh ones and they would be so lovely in these muffins

    1. Yes a winning combo. I dislike paying lots of money for them too, esp. when I 've seen them fall smashing to the earth in Turkey and Cyprus, but D loves them and its his one fave fruit that he will actually eat fresh, not just in cakes.


If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You