Saturday, 21 February 2015

Portobello Mushroom Stuffed with Tricolour Couscous

 I picked up these Portobello mushrooms to make a particular recipe, but when I got home I completely forgot what recipe I wanted to make (problem of flicking through too many cookbooks or maybe it's age?!).  

So in true ready steady cook style I just knocked up a light lunch and these Stuffed Mushrooms were on the table in not too long. 
I had half a packet of Tricolour Couscous left over from my Chickpea Marrow Curry rrecipe. The Tricolour Couscous is made up of golden couscous, some grains are delicately flavoured with spinach and tomato.   I decided to make the most of it as the primary base of my mushroom stuffing complimenting it further with some cooked chickpeas and the rest of the ingredients came from the fridge: spring onions, pepper, feta cheese and coriander.  

It made for a lovely light, colourful and flavoursome starter.  Now whats for dinner?! - leftovers from yesterday.

Portobello Mushrooms Stuffed with Tricolour Couscous
Serves 4 as a starter
Ingredients
Cook 100g Tricolour Couscous according the instructions and set aside for 5 minutes or so to swell.

4 large Portobello Mushrooms, wiped clean and core removed
1 red, yellow or orange pepper, cored, deseeded, rinsed and sliced into small pieces
75g - 100g Feta cheese, sliced into cubes
2 - 3 spring onions, sliced including white bits
200g cooked chickpeas, drained and rinsed
Small handful of fresh coriander, minced
1 teaspoon garlic powder, or 1 garlic clove crushed
Salt and pepper to taste
Olive oil for drizzling
Method
Folk through the couscous grains gently to separate them, then stir in all of the ingredients, except for the Portobello mushrooms and half of the feta cheese.
Then spoon the remaining feta cheese between the four mushrooms,  Then carefully with a spoon divide the couscous mixture over the mushrooms, carefully pressing into the corners. Be generous and let it overflow too.
 
Transfer the mushroom carefully to a baking tray lined with non-stick baking paper, then drizzle over the oil.  Bake in a preheated oven gas mark 4/180oc for 25 - 30 minutes, until the mushrooms begin to given, soften but not collapse.
Serve immediately on a bed of light green salad or blanched green beans.  
As a member of the Suma Bloggers Network, I will receive a selection of complimentary products every two months, to use in recipe development and will blog original recipes for the Network

14 comments:

  1. I really shouldn't read your blog before our tea has started cooking! That looks so delicious I'm going to need a pre-dinner snack!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tasty mushrooms! LOL! I, too, have done the recipe mix-up when I've forgotten why I bought an ingredient or misplaced that 'must-do' recipe! It's nice to know I'm not the only one who gets a bit forgetful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Susan.
      Glad to note that I am not alone too.

      Delete
  3. Just love Portobello mushrooms - I stuff mine with some pate and cheese ........... delicious.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds lovely. I have also done it in the past with tapenade. Delicious

      Delete
  4. Completely delicious! A great idea for lunch too. I may just have these for lunch this week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yummy! So colourful and wonderful sounding!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it is quite colourful and was tasty too.

      Delete
  6. good to have another idea for Portobello Mushrooms....The Pirate's favourite!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You can't beat giant mushrooms. What a treat x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Giant mushrooms are a treat in our home.

      Delete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You