Thursday, 26 February 2015

Little Green Kale Fritters

It was half term school holidays here in Wales last week and I popped into my brothers house in the afternoon, it happened to be Shrove Tuesday that day.  Like a nosey Aunt I peered over my nieces shoulder who was surfing the Internet for pancake recipes.  I teased her was she going to make her Aunty some lovely sweet pancakes?.  She confidently nodded her head and said she would, but I wasn't too sure when she was actually ever going to detach herself from the comfort of the sattee and physically go into the kitchen and create them, so in short I didn't get any.

So having felt I missed out a little,  I made some savoury fritters of my own over the weekend.  I would have preferred sweet, but having paid a long well overdue visit to the garden, it ended up being savoury ones with a good handful of garden pickings of curly kale.  
I am rather ashamed to admit that I haven't ventured much into the garden this year, but fortunately D has - every day in fact, as he goes out to feed the various birds we have and refresh the bird bath.  He raised my awareness a week or so back, when we had the high winds that the neighbours fence had fallen down,  typically it landed on our side too.  I begrudge this as it means more work for us in the garden come March.
Anyway, having finally stretched my legs in the garden my eyes fell on some curly kale that had not been got at by the beasties, bugs and birds.  I also spotted some purple sprouting broccoli, but thought it could do with another week to sprout a bit more, I will pick it this weekend.  

Back to the Green Kale Fritters,  D liked them very much describing them as 'a nice change'. There were some left over, which he polished off the following day simply re-heating them in the microwave.  I served these little fritters with a home-made sweetcorn-chilli relish. 

I am sharing this recipe with Bangers and Mash and Eat Your Veg for February Healthy Family Foodies blog event with the them of Pancake Party.
Green Kale Fritters
200g curly kale, tough part removed and minced, washed and set aside.  

110g self-raising flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 egg
50g butter, melted
140ml milk
1 teaspoon garam masala
1/2 teaspoon red chilli flakes
Salt and pepper to taste
Oil for frying
Heat a non-stick frying pan, no oil.  Add the washed kale and cook until wilted, stirring all the time.  You will know when it is ready when it begins to stick to the pan. Set aside to cool down. 

In a large bowl, put the flour, baking powder, egg, butter milk and spices and seasoning  and whisk until smooth.  Then stir in the cooled kale.
Heat the frying pan, this time with some oil.  
When shimmering, ladle 2 - 3 tablespoon of the batter into the pan to create mini pancakes. 
Cook for a minute, then flip over and cook on the othe side until it begins to puff up a little and then then turn brown and golden.  
Transfer to a plate lined with a paper towel and repeat until all the mixture has been used up.  
Serve immediately with your chosen relish.  


  1. The fritters sound and look lovely. I shall have to try that. Sometimes we struggle with kale. Its the least favored leafy green at our place. That corn chili relish looks amazing. I must create this!

    1. Noone will be wiser at what greens are in these fritters, do try them.

  2. Hi Shaheen,

    Thanks for the recipe! I love the look of these, and it's always nice to find another recipe for kale. Hope you brave the garden soon enough!

    Besma (

    1. Thank you Besma, I have a very busy March. But I am hoping to get into the garden.

  3. Shaheen,
    Those Kale fritters look very delicious. We love everything Kale.
    Have a Beautiful Day!
    Peace :)

  4. sounds great - and funny because I really wanted a savoury recipe for shrove tuesday but ended up being tempted by a sweet one - we could have swapped :-)

    1. I saw your chocolate pancakes and guess what have bookmarked to make. And yes, we could have swapped for sure :)

  5. Hi Shaheen, oh yum, I'm mad for kale at the moment, I seem to be going through a bag a week at present. Mainly using leftovers in juicing but haven't tried anything frittery with it yet so maybe this is the one. Shame you missed out on those pancakes, take care :) x

    1. Lovely to hear from you Sally x
      Its good that you are eating kale, very seasonal indeed. I have tried it in smoothie, but not juices - have not braved that far yet.

  6. They look wonderful! is it binded together with egg and flour?

    1. So good to hear from you Matron, hopefully we can compare growing gardening notes soon. Yes the recipe is at the bottom of the blog post, binded with egg and flour.

  7. Love the look of these. We have kale in the veg patch so definitely going to try them in these fritters. And such a fab entry for the Family Foodies pancake party. Thanks so much for linking up.

  8. I made them & they came out beautifully! x

  9. These look delicious, and a great way to get kids to enjoy kale! Fritters are a great inexpensive and easy meal too.


If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You