Sunday, 1 February 2015

February 2015 In My Kitchen

My goodness is it already February 2015, I cannot believe how fast January has gone by. Okay onto what's in my kitchen for February.  Well there were a lot of vegan ingredients in my kitchen last month as I was following the Veganuary challenge, but this month begins with a bit of a mish mash. of crockery, edibles and bites.  Hope you like.  
I share with you a a plate, a bowl and a mug that I picked up from a charity shop last month.  
This is what it looks look when put together.  The child in me likes it.  I don't think I will ever use it, but it makes me smile whenever it catches my eye. I am sharing this charity shop treasure with Thriftasauraus.
This little tub of Black Garlic has been sitting at the back of my kitchen cupboard for a few months, its time to use it, so come back to check out some of the recipes I make with it this month.
I haven't opened either of these jars yet, but am looking forward to spreading them on my bagels, it would make a nice change from peanut butter.  The Curd Herd Heavenly Blackcurrant and Star Anise sounds unusual; and the Meridian Crunchy Hazelnut Butter well just would make a lovely change.
From Steenberg Organics I have some Fair trade Saffron, Orange Blossom Water and Apple Stuffing.   Any one have any suggestions as to what to do with orange blossom water, I do have some ideas, but other suggestions are always appreciated. 
Marigold Pomegranate Molasses that will go perfect with my Zaytoun ingredients to cook up a Middle Eastern inspired dish. Just in case your wondering, the accompanying pomegranates are fake, they come out for Christmas table, but I forgot to pack them away this year, so they are adorning a fruit bowl in the kitchen window. 
I have had a bit of a sore throat recently, so have been putting a few drops of Echinacea liquid into my herbal and fruit teas, fortunately the cold has stayed away and so far no time has been taken off work, so it must be doing me some good. 
I have had a recipe bookmarked from Johanna at Green Gourmet Giraffe for vegan coconut bacon for a little while, and finally got round to making it today, but I couldn't help myself and adapted it a little by adding some sunflower, pumpkin and sesame seeds to the mix - its very moreish.  Here it is cooling down. 
And just as my adaptation of the vegan coconut bacon came out of the oven, these potato slices coated in chilli flakes were about to go into to the oven.  Come back later in the week to find out what dish this is.
And finally, 5:2 Vegetarian Cookbook by Celia Brooks.  I have been borrowing a copy of this book from the library the past year, but I was kindly bestowed my own hard copy by the talented Celia Brooks herself.  Other than the vegetarian and vegan recipes, what I like about this book mostly is that it is handbag size, so that I can pop it into my bag and take a gander for cooking inspiration for the coming week.    

I am sharing this post with the dynamic  Celia at Fig and Jam for February 2015 edition of In My Kitchen Series. Please go by and check out her post as well as the other IMK posts. 

28 comments:

  1. I love that bowl, plate and mug set, so unusual!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think my comment must have disappeared into the ether? : (

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I am disappointed, your not the first person to say this, so I don't know what is happening with blogger, its annoying as I don't often get many comments and appreciate them when I do :(

      Delete
  3. Hi Shaheen,
    Glad to see the child in you get rewarded. It is a wonderful thing to do that, in my opinion.
    The mug with the kitty cup is so nice.
    I am not just saying that because I like cats and cycling :)
    Have a Beautiful Day!
    Peace :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chandra :)
      If you lived near, I would have been happy to give them to you Chandra as I know you like bikes.

      Delete
  4. I love the plate, bowl and cup set! Growing up we had bowls with faces on them that stacked with a hat on top, we had a bowl for each member of the family. The rest of your goodies looks wonderful as well, the potatoes sound great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Gretchen. So it brought back fond memories for you.

      Delete
  5. oh so many good things - I would eat my cereal out of that cat bowl every morning but we would all want it! black garlic sounds exciting. I think the orange blossom water would work well in this cake instead of lavender http://gggiraffe.blogspot.com.au/2011/07/cc-orange-lavender-and-almond-syrup.html - and I am glad the coconut bacon worked well - love the addition of seeds. That celia brookes book looks really interesting - maybe I should suggest it to my library.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and Thank you for the suggestion too, I will think about it. The coconut bacon post is coming up and I will bookmark it to Jac's challenge. I hope you can get your mitts on Celia's book, it is a bit of a gem and I like her approach to cooking too.

      Delete
  6. Hazelnut butter on a bagel sounds like my kind of breakfast. You have some seriously delicious goodies in your kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I do feel a bit spoiled this month.

      Delete
  7. Looks like you are already having busy February in your kitchen. Look forward to seeing what you come up with, especially with that pomegranate molasses; been looking at jars of it in my local Asian/ Arabic shop for a while now, but haven't taken the plunge yet...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I certainly have Sarojini. I have ideas as to what to do with the Pom. Molasses, but not so much the black garlic or orange blossom - do you.

      Delete
  8. I made coconut bacon a few months ago and have enjoyed dropping it into salads. I love the bowl and cup and saucer setting, so it must appeal to the child in me as well. Do use it, you never know what magic may grab ahold of you!! Thanks Shaheen for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a really good idea, I will try and do that - but I have to be honest, my husband has been taking a tiny tub with him to work filled with the stuff, so it will be long gone. :) re the bowl, yes, I will try and use it or let someone - a guest use it if they so wish.

      Delete
  9. Hi there Shaheen, that 5:2 Vegetarian cookbook looks very interesting. How lovely that the author herself provided you with a copy! I must read more into the 5:2 fasting approach. I have heard many benefits abound from this method. Longevity, better blood sugar controls, easier weight maintenance etc. Cheers, Kirsty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know I am very lucky. Celia has always been most generous, she was one of the very first people to follow my blog when I set up it up in 2009. I have all her books now. Yes, I must be a fan. Hope you can locate a copy where you are ,

      Delete
  10. How interesting that there is a 5:2 book for Vegetarians. It had not occurred to me. I love the look of the coconut bacon and the addition of seeds on top makes it look very attractive. cheers Fiona xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Fiona. I hope you can seek out the cookbook.

      Delete
  11. How cute is that little cup set! Although the mug on its own is a bit macabre.. ;-) I love pomegranate molasses, imagine it would be even more interesting with Marigold in it! Or is Marigold the brand name? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Celia,
      Yes, I am rather pleased with the set. Marigold is the brand name :)

      Delete
  12. Your plate set is adorable and made me smile too :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Shaheen! That mug and bowl set is cute, I let out a giggle when I saw it put together. Hope you feel better! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Emily. It is pretty unusual.

      Delete
  14. Shaheen, I hope you're feeling better by now. (I'm a lil' late getting round to commenting... busy month!) I think thrift shops are marvelous sources of treasures... even "one-time" ones... and I'm so glad you found an item that tickles you every time you look at it! Isn't that the point? Thanks for this lovely peek in your kitchen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kim.
      Actually I am a lot worse, it has caught up with me. A few days off work for rest.
      I hope things are progressing for the better for you and I look forward to taking a peek into your permanent kitchen in the very near future. Warmest of wishes

      Delete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You