Tuesday, 17 February 2009

Zingy perpetual spinach and mung bean casserole

One thing you will learn about me is the food I like to cook and eat is not necessarily pretty or photogenic. You will not find me presenting it like an artists palette, well not yet anyway, and I will never ever become a food photographer, but I can pretend now and again.

I still have some perpetual spinach growing in my garden plot. Perpetual spinach is a close friend of the swiss chard. So this is what we had today. It is a slight variation from Bill Sewells Food from the place below. It uses really simple ingredients producing a delightfully delicious and zingy dish. One to perk you up if your feeling a bit under the weather. We had it with plain boiled Basmati rice from Pakistan.

Serves 4 - 6

225g dried mung beans
2 medium onions, thinly sliced
4 cloves of garlic
4 tablespoons of vegetable oil
400g tin of tomatoes, chopped
400g of perpetual spinach or baby leaf spinach, washed and roughly sliced
Zest and juice of two limes
Salt and pepper to taste

Boil the mung bean in water for about 45 minutes, until tender, then drain and leave to cool.

Sweat the onions and garlic until soft.

Add the tomatoes and cook for 10 minutes, then add the spinach and simmer for 10 minutes more, until the spinach is cooked.

Then add the cooled mung beans.

Now add the zest and juice of one lime NOTE Taste it before you add the juice of the second lime. I like it quite zingy, so add the juice from two limes, but if you don't want the zingy dominating, taste before deciding to add further lime juice.

Stir and heat through before serving.

Check the seasoning

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You