Sunday, 8 February 2009

Jerusalem artichoke and walnut parcels

I have some Jerusalem artichokes left from last weekends visit to the allotment, so decided to make this recipe: Jerusalem artichoke and walnut parcels. This is a variation from Paul Gaylers book called Vegetarian Cookbook. The original recipe uses brown rice, but I don't have any, so I have substituted it for white rice, which doubles on the quantity. Good if you have a crowd coming over, and I do have some special guests flying over from Wales to stay with me for the week. Its a good dish to prepare in advance.
Jerusalem artichokes and walnut parcels
150g long grain white rice
25g butter
1 onion, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 leek shredded
175 chestnut mushrooms, sliced
100g Jerusalem artichokes, peeled and grated
1 tablespoon thyme
100 g fresh breadcrumbs
50g walnuts, chopped
100g cheddar, grated
2 eggs beaten, plus 1 to seal and glaze
2 x 450g Ready rolled puff pastry
flour to dust
Salt and pepper to taste

Boil the rice until cooked and drain. Place in a bowl and leave to cool.

In a separate pan, melt the butter, add the onion and garlic and saute until translucent. Add the leek, mushrooms, artichokes and thyme. Saute for about 5 minutes until golden. Leave to cool.

In the bowl containing the rice, add the sauteed vegetables, breadcrumbs, walnuts, cheddar and two eggs. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

Roll out one sheet of puff pastry on a lightly, floured work surface. Cut into 6 even sized squares.

Then do this again with the other sheet of puff pastry. so all together you should have 12 squares.

Form the rice mixture into balls, place in the centre of the pastry square and then form parcels. Please look at the photos, as I would be terrible explaining this.

Brush the outside of each parcel with egg glaze and leave in fridge until ready to bake, which is what I will do when my guests arrive.

Then all you have to do is bake in oven gas mark 6 for 20 - 25 minutes until golden.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You