Tuesday, 10 February 2009

Parsnip and wild rice mulligatawny

I really enjoy making Jane Grigsons Curried Parsnip soup, but decided on a change.

This soup is called Parsnip and wild rice mulligatawny soup. It's the first time I have made this recipe. It is adapted from Paul Gaylers Vegetarian Cookbook. Paul Galyer uses coconut milk to give the soup an added flavour. I chose not to do this, as I found the soup quite creamy as is and it was quite flavourful. The wild rice gave it an added texture. Chewiness.
Parsnip and wild rice mulligatawny soup
Ingredients

50g wild rice
50g butter or substitute with olive oil
1 onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, crushed
400g parsnips, diced
1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
2 tablespoons of curry powder
2 pints of vegetable stock made with 1 teaspoon of bouillon powder
4 tablespoons of chopped coriander leaves
salt and pepper to taste
MethodPlace the wild rice in a pan. Add 450ml of water to cover the rice, bring to the boil, then reduce heat, and simmer for 30 - 40 minutes until the rice is tender. Drain. Or if using quick cook wild rice, cook according to packet instructions.
Heat the butter in a separate pan. Add the onion and garlic and fry over a low heat for 5 minutes until translucent. Add the parsnips, turmeric, and curry powder, and cook for a couple of minutes, to allow the spices to mingle and release their fragrances.
Pour in the stock. Stir well. Bring to the boil, then turn the heat down and allow to simmer for 40 minutes, or until the parsnips are tender.
Blend the cooled ingredients in a food processor until smooth. Season to taste. Return the soup to the pan, bring to a boil, stir in the wild rice and coriander. Serve in bowls.

4 comments:

  1. This was one of the most delicious soups EVER! I added the can of coconut milk too, so it was very rich and silky and sumptuous! An absolute winner, I will be making this again! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Green Ink,
    I am so pleased that you enjoyed it. I remember thoroughly enjoying it too. Gosh, the coconut milk must have made it super duper rich. Thank you so much for letting me know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I tried this and it was EXCELLENT! Thank you so much for sharing it :D

    I'm really excited about the coconut milk version as well.

    It tastes great over quinoa, and any other grain I bet too :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much Amber.
    I know and have to admit, I was drooling over your bowl. I must give it a whirl with quinoa.

    ReplyDelete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You