Saturday, 5 September 2015

Avocado Toast with Coconut 'Bacon'

I have already mentioned my absolutely favourite vegan sandwich for Vegan Mofo by pure accident in my Rise and Shine breakfast post.  I also wrote about this very vegan BLT made with 'facon bacon, many years ago on my blog, so I will not be posting about that again.

Instead I share with you something else that I have come to enjoy recenty - coconut 'facon' bacon.
I have made Coconut 'facon' bacon a few times now and my favourite way of eating it perhaps on a piece of toasted wholemeal bread spread with mashed avocado slices and then topped with this marvellous smokey stuff, so its not a recipe really - its a way of eating.

As many have before me, I am planning on having coconut lettuce and tomato (clt) sandwich soon, but for snacking on later this evening it will be Avocado Toast with Coconut 'Bacon', especially as I have avocados at home left over from the Avocado Lime Cheesecake
And now you may be wondering where is the picture of the Avocado Toast with Coconut 'Bacon'.  Sorry I ate it!    



Coconut 'Facon' Bacon 
Ingredients
160g coconut flakes
2 tablespoons Tamari sauce or soy sauce
2 tablespoon maple syrup or agave syrup
2 teaspoon Mesquite liquid smoke
1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
Pinch of salt
Method
Preheat oven to gas mark 160oc. 
In a large bowl stir all the ingredients together until well coated, then tip onto a baking tray lined with baking parchment paper.  Spread out evenly. 
Bake for about 8 minutes, then remove and give them a good stir , then toast for another 8 minutes or until lightly golden.  
Keep an eye on it as it goes from golden to charred very easily.  
Remove from the oven, allow to cool and store in an airtight container for one month.  
Adapted (or maybe the whole credit should go to) Green Gourmet Giraffe 

10 comments:

  1. Yum! I have only made coconut bacon once but really enjoyed it. I tried to find some coconut flakes the other day to make more but the shop didn't stock them. They are great even to sprinkle on salads!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree they are great on salads too, but must be eaten quickly otherwise they get soggy

      Delete
  2. I just posted a Guacamole Bacon Burger. These coconut bacon chips would be killer on them! Can't wait to see what you do with it!

    Zsu's @ Zsu's Vagen Pantry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for coming by Zsu, its appreciated. I came by this morning and saw it. Yum.

      Delete
  3. I can totally see why this is one of your favourite sandwiches - such a perfect combination!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds brilliant - I have coconut flakes and this fills me with a desire to make some facon with them - hope you enjoy them - they are great in a clt but I must try them with avocado (did you know in Australia it is often called an avocado smash or even avo smash!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course it does Johanna, now I know that the Aussies have been doing it a while, love the name avo smash!

      Delete
  5. I actually had Coconut Bacon for breakfast! :)

    ReplyDelete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You