Wednesday, 2 September 2015

Gol Guppay: Puffed Pastry Shells filled with Tamarind, Chickpeas and Potatoes

I love tamarind, but unlike my sister in laws who can drink it by the bucket loads, I satisfy my quench for it when my taste buds desires by making a zingy Tamarind drink, but it is Gol Guppay's that I now and again crave, and sadly it is one dish from my childhood that I don't make that often.

A good while back to mimic the flavours, I made a slow cooked tamarind vegetable pot with cumin dumpling, but I have never made Gol Guppay at home.  Its one of those social dishes, like tapas or a mezze that is best made when you are in good company, family, friends or just a social gathering.   You pick it up and pop it in on go in your gob.  
For those of you unfamiliar with Gol Guppay, it is a street snack from the Indian Sub-Continent - crispy puffed pastry shells known as puris that are filled with flavoured tamarind potatoes and chickpeas (aloo chaat and channa).  
I have been wanting to make some Gol Guppay quite recently, namely for the Inheritance Recipes challenge set by Solange at Pebble Soup last month.  The theme this month is Back to School hosted by Coffee and Vanilla.  

Well with Vegan Mofo asking participants to recreate a meal from our childhood, well it gave me the perfect reason to actually make it.  I have to confess though, my mother never prepped this for our lunch box, but we did have it often after school for tea before being shooed to after-school clubs.  
Although my mother has her own way of making Gol Guppay, I will link you to a recipe close to the way she makes it, in case you care to make it at home. The part where my mothers recipe differs is that she also includes white sweet potato and minced red onion and she also uses tamarind pulp for the tangy sauce, rather that tamarind concentrate.  Oh and we cheat, although we do know how to make the puffed pastry shells from scratch, most South Asian people very rarely make the the puffed pastry shell from scratch, most people pick them up from an ethnic grocers and I admit that is what I did this time round for convenience, more than anything else. I am also sharing this with Healthy Vegan Fridays #63




16 comments:

  1. Oh, that looks amazing! Thank you for sharing your dish and memories with our Inheritance Recipes :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That really looks amazing. Puri are my favourite thing, now that I now they can be found in my local Asian supermarket, the world has a new meaning :) Thank you for thinking of #InheritanceRecipes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Solange. You can def. make versions of this at home and tweak it to your taste.

      Delete
  3. Wow, this looks incredible Shaheen, and sounds like quite the experience to eat!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those puffs look so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Chickpeas and potatoes? I have to try this, already hungry :-D

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love you're presentation here!!! Never mind eating it- I just want to look at it!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ana. I do try with presentation, but not that often - it does make a difference

      Delete
  7. Your pictures are gorgeous and the meal itself sounds utterly delicious. It sounds like a wonderful after school snack! Sure beats the oreos I used to get haha ;p
    Thanks so much for sharing this at Healthy Vegan Fridays - it is going to be featured this week! I am pinning this recipe and eagerly await more of your contributions =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you so so much Kim, I am every so delighted. Majority of the pics, the better ones are taken by my darling husband. Yes, this is an awesome snack and thank you so much for featuring it. I hope to participate again, I am not the most healthiest of vegetarians , but when I do have something to share - I def. will. Once again, thank you so much,you have made my day.

      Delete
  8. I'm going to mention this in our Friday Newsletter ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Margot, its been a popular recipe.

      Delete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You