Thursday, 3 September 2015

Zucchini - Courgette Skinny Fries - Chips

These courgette aka zucchini skinny fries have been my favourite snack of late.
 Vegan Mofo has asked us for something Quick, Easy and Delicious and I think these fit the criteria fantastically well.  They are also relatively healthy, tasty and baked. 
These crunchy morsels taste even better as the courgettes are home-grown.  I am hoping to try this with other vegetables, including squash - imagine squash chips or fries, and why not - we have sweet potato chips.  And even green french beans, the options are endless.  



Baked Zucchini Skinny Fries
Preheat oven to gas mark 5/200oc
Serves 2
Ingredients
1 large courgette, cut in half or in three parts and then sliced into matchsticks.
100g chickpea flour
160g - 200g panko crumbs
Sea salt
1/ teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
Optional: 1 teaspoon dried herb seasoning
Method
Preheat oven to gas mark 4/180oc.
In a bowl, whisk together the chickpea flour with enough cold water to make a thick glossy batter.
In a wide bowl, mix together the panko crumbs, salt, onion powder, garlic powder, cayenne pepper and optional dried herbs.
Douse the courgette matchsticks in the chickpea flour batter, then dredge them into the flavoured panko crumbs until coated well. 
Transfer to a baking sheet, lined with baking parchment paper, spread out and bake in the oven for 10 - 15 minutes, tossing them over halfway. 
Serve immediately with your choice of condiment. 

14 comments:

  1. These look so pretty, crunchy, and golden on the outside, while I'm sure the courgette is lovely and tender inside; great combo of textures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The courgettes are cooked and tender on the inside too, I liked it v. much

      Delete
  2. I'm trying this next time I go grocery shopping! I love zucchini so much and will feel less guilty since they're baked! Hahah
    Thank you for sharing. :)

    Vegetarian CourtesyCheese with Papas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you like Adi, if you don't have chickpea flour, plain flour will do - its just to make a edible glue of sorts for the panko crumbs to stick, you can also use ordinary breadcrumbs too

      Delete
  3. I love courgette fries and baking is definitely the way to go. I like your plans for the other vegetables too! Looking forward seeing some variations here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Veg Hog, other veggie 'fries' coming soon.

      Delete
  4. I love seeing veggie fries with crispy panko exteriors! I've never actually tried it myself though. Will have to flag this for later.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you little vegan bear, look at my comment to Adi for adaptation if you don't have all the ingredeints, as not every one can find panko crumbs

      Delete
  5. Yum! We love stuff like tis. You may have seen our "fries" in spiced potato flour on the blog. Will def try yours, thanks 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sarojini, I know I come by your blog often, but can't remember if I have seen your variation of 'fries', can you give me the link as I did a search and nothing came up. Thanks, hope you like my version too

      Delete
  6. how fun! I just found your blog on randomofo.com! these sound and look delicious! I appreciate that they are baked and not fried.Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for coming by Amey, I did pop by your blog earlier, but didn't leave a comment. I will come back later for a nosy to see what you post for today.

      Delete
  7. These zucchini fries look so good! A great way to use up all that homegrown zucchini :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kyra, def. a fab way of using up and eating courgettes.

      Delete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You