Tuesday, 22 September 2015

Lemon Harissa Runner Beans

I do struggle to  know what to do with runner beans in the culinary sense, but I do like growing them in my garden. So with the prompt being 'use all seasonal produce',  I was excited as it gave me the opportunity to use some of the runner beans  as well as some of the cherry tomatoes tumbling from the greenhouse.  Oh I must not forget the last of the purple french beans too, that turn green on cooking.   
I made a recipe called Harissa Runner Beans that I saw in the cookbook Veggiestan. The only thing that I did differently was use Blodyn Aur  Lemon Infused Rapeseed Oil, hence the Lemon Harissa Runner Beans.  The recipe reminded me of a lot of Sri Lankan Ceylonese Runner Beans that I made many years ago, as well as some cooked in paprika.
We had these simply with Jacket Potatoes.  I have also made some Green Chilli or Verdi Chilli to sound more interesting with runner beans and green beans, but I will share that later in the week. 

8 comments:

  1. I've been drowning in runner beans recently and I'm always looking for new ways to cook them. I love Veggiestan - so many good recipes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are quite a few runner beans recipes on my blog, though not all vegan - but I hope you find some inspiration. I agree - so many good recipes in Veggiestan

      Delete
  2. I would like this recipe since the only harissa I have eaten is tomato-based and when used you cannot see the veg for the sauce! Hope you and D are good...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Although the recipe and ingredients are really simple, I can't share the recipe here for copyright reasons, but you essentially first cook and drain the runner beans, then put in pan with olive oil, cherry tomatoes and harissa paste to taste and cook slowly until the tomatoes begin to just burst. Tweak and adjust seasoning before serving. Hope that helps e. We are both well, by the way, but we need break from work - both of us.

      Delete
  3. Beans that change colour on cooking sound intruiging! This sounds like a wonderful flavourful dish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah they are purple but once cooked go green, shame really as the purple is vivid. Here is a link to some I harvest a while back http://allotment2kitchen.blogspot.co.uk/2015/09/vegan-month-in-my-kitchen.html

      Delete
  4. What a lovely dish. I love runner beans. They are quintessentially seasonal... at least around here. This is the only time of year you can find them, and even then it will only be in farmers' markets or the home garden. Lemon and tomato go really well with them, and all that with a baked potato...perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rose. They are everywhere here, because of the season - when not in season they come from somewhere in Good Africa, but I try to eat in season as much as I can. This recipe was really good with Jacket potato, really was.

      Delete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You