Friday, 25 September 2015

My Favourite Room - Cooks Library

Due to work related distractions and tiredness, I have been missing Five on Friday since it began again at the start of September, but I thought no I will join in today and share Five things in my favourite room - Cooks Library come Dining Room. 

Come, let me explain why it has two names
This Dining room is where we would entertain guests, family and friends should they ever come over.  Trouble is because we live in the valley s and a little out the way, sadly we haven't had many diners sit at the table, except for us in the evenings or at the weekend when we have a proper cooked breakfast.  We only made this big purchase of dining table and chairs quite recently are quite pleased with it, but as I said only our bottoms have graced those chairs.  

I describe this room as so-called dining room, because this room actually is the Cooks Library - my library. The room houses all of my cookbooks, D says I am like a squirrel with my cookbooks hiding them like nuts in various places; in this case every room (except the bathroom), but  the majority are in this room.  
As you enter the Cooks Library aka the dining room, you are welcomed by this charming Sikh guard.  We picked him up from an Auction as a house-warming present to ourselves when we moved here.  He has a large crack at the front, but I think it adds character and a little charm.  
I call these three Persian female characters in headscarves my Angry Aunties, just look at their facial expressions and the pout stern mouths.  They give me that disapproving look because I married outside of my cultural heritage.  Actually, D got them for me as he liked them, they do make me smile sitting on one of the bookshelves, next to a 3D Butterfly card sent to me by my beautiful friend Leah.  Note to self - I must write back. 
This odd shaped  hand crafted Teapot planter was purchased by D when we went on our late honeymoon to Paris.  I have to admit, I was not convinced by his impulsive purchase as it cost lots, but he told me to not begrudge it as it was a reminder of our time together in Paris, I still have reservations about it. I like it, but I don't think it was worth the euros we spent on it, but that is me. I am too afraid to put cactus plants in it, in case the water seeps through and damages it, so its sits there with some pot pourri
And finally, something from the kitchen: Roasted Balsamic Beetroot Galette made with red and yellow beetroot .  Please do pop on over to Five on Friday hosted by Amy at Love Made My Home to see what other bloggers have shared.

18 comments:

  1. Lovely table and chairs and mementos, Shaheen. Enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you e, I was working today - got in just before 6pm - weekend begin now - only one day off :( but will make the most of my Sunday

      Delete
  2. Beautiful things! It looks like you have a lovely home.

    I'm a little bit the same way about spending money on things that seem overpriced. But, I'm sure it is something that you'll have in your family for many years and pass on as a cherished family object.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rose. Yes, a family heirloom one day :D

      Delete
  3. Your dining room/cooks library makes a great combination room! The two things go together so well. I hope that you soon have lots of visitors to sit at your lovely new table and enjoy some delicious food with you! Thank you for joining Five On Friday. I hope that you have a great weekend - with some good eating! xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the Sikh guard, he really is enchanting and makes quite a feature.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you mamas mercantile. He is certainly a welcoming character.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. I know Susie, they are funny for sure - but i snug my nose at them sometimes.

      Delete
  6. What a lovely little glimpse into your library/dinning room. You have some great things in there. I especially love the angry aunties!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. Yeah, the angry aunties do make me smile, but there are times when I look at them with a frown on my head and go what you lot looking at, mind your own business

      Delete
  7. I loved the tour of your library/dining room and your treasures. The galette you made looks so yummy. Enjoy your day :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Lilly's Mom, your comment is really appreciated

      Delete
  8. How lovely to read this, Shaheen; I too keep books in every room except the loo and bathroom! Despite culling more than 200 books over the past two years we still have them everywhere.

    I hope you get more "bums on seats" soon, because I suspect you are like me and love to cook for a crowd.

    M faves are your Sikh and your Angry Aunties! Lx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Lynne. Same place I don't keep my books :) Did you cull any veggie cookbooks? :( I understand though, when we moved from Scotland to Wales, I got rid of loads of books, mostly academic and novels, and my husband gave loads of his away in favour of my cookery collection - he loves me. Yes I do like to feed people, but sadly they don't want to travel to a place a little out of the way.

      Delete
    2. No, very few cook books ever get culled! And the ones that did go were a hard job to let go! My veggie cook books will never go, and I use them frequently!

      Delete
    3. Good to hear Lynne. I'd have been sad it to read if it had been otherwise.

      Delete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You