Wednesday, 9 September 2015

Retro Vegan Hand Raised Pie for Sharing

Yesterday's prompt was reach out! make a new vegan friend and tell us about it.  Its one of the reasons I am participating in Vegan Mofo and for me that is reaching out.  Saying that its also nice to be reacquainted with Rose from Dandylion Vegan Blog and if I had to tell you about a lovely vegan friend, there are quite a few in my real life and quite a few that I have met on blogosphere, so to single one out would be unfair. I love them all in different ways, they know who they are. 
And today's prompt is most retro recipe.  I have a couple of recipes that I consider to be retro on my blog, some are vegan like this Lemon Cherry Tofu Cheesecake and this  Chilli Chocolate Tofu Cheesecake, but many other retro recipes are vegetarian.  Some of course can easily be veganized like this retro Kiev's, but instead I am sharing these two rather large vegan Hand Raised Pies, its irrelevant what is in these vegan pies, its more about the size, because this time size does matter.  

These kind of hand raised (moulded by hand) pies remind me of retro, proper old fashion, traditional vegetarian eateries in the 1960 and 1970s like Cranks.  There are still places around that serve a slice from a large pie with a side salad such Crumbs Kitchen in Cardiff and Royce Rolls Cafe in Bristol,  but this is fast declining as many people are preferring individual pies like those seen at Pieminister.  I do however think larger pies are making a comeback, have you seen people ordering savoury pie cakes for their wedding or other celebratory events?
I do make lots of individual pies due to demand, but when it comes to family and friends its the larger ones that I prefer making - not only because its a great way to share, there is also something quite retro about it. And if your still wondering what are in these pies, well one has Garlic and Mushrooms and the other is Paprika Mushroom.

16 comments:

  1. I'd never thought about it but you're so right about the rise in popularity of individual pies! Like you I prefer baking just one big one if I'm baking at home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your comment, it is really appreciated and I am pleased that you agree with my observation, I do prefer larger ones for lots of reasons, but mostly its good for sharing

      Delete
  2. I'm so glad to reconnect with you too Shaheen. I was away for quite a while, and though the folks we blog with are often far away, I've come to realize that the distance doesn't make them any less cherished.

    Your pies look lovely, as always and seem like perfect fare for autumn meals. I really like the idea of sharing one large pie family-style---hope it makes a comeback!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ditto Rose.
      I had a break from blogging too when I moved to Wales, 2012 was a really quiet year for me with me job hunting and other stuff, but sorta back on track and settled in. It really is good to have you back.

      Delete
  3. As you know, I'm also a retro food fan, especially of pies and quiches served with salad. These look delicious! What's your favourite pie pastry recipe?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know you are Sarojini :)
      I tend to use the same recipe for my pie pastry - its the hot water crust.

      Delete
  4. I know what you mean about the changing pie fashions - I guess maybe smaller pies look neater on the plate? Either way, I love a good pie - I'll have the garlic mushroom please!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joey, garlic mushroom pie coming your way - just close your eyes and imagine...
      Yes, I do agree smaller ones do look a lot more presentable on the plate

      Delete
  5. these look gorgeous - was wondering what sort of pie you might do after your comment on my pasties - I love that you have referred to Cranks - I loved it so much when first in London and still think of london with Cranks even though on later trips it was no longer there. I do have a lovely retro cranks cookbook that is very dear to me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Johanna.
      Funny you mention retro Cranks cookbook, they have just rereleased with new cover http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cranks-Recipe-Book-Vegetarian-Classics/dp/1409145719
      I just won a copy and realised I already have the cookbook, I don't know why I thought it was a new release.I'd love to see your copy of Cranks cookbook - lets do a deal, I will show you mine, if you show me yours :)
      Your lucky you went to Cranks, I never have - but have loved the cookbooks, mostly those by Nadine Abensur who left UK for Australia a good few years ago.

      Delete
    2. Mine is this one - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Entertaining-Cranks-Kay-Canter/dp/046004706X/ref=pd_sim_14_4/278-8782628-3832653?ie=UTF8&refRID=1AV14SE1T19MD89ED402&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL320_SR240%2C320_ - sorry about the long url - Amazon says it is 1985 which doesn't seem that long ago but it feels older than that and I love the illustrations - I must dig it out and cook from it soon (my poor neglected cookbooks)

      Delete
    3. Johanna,
      No worries about the long url - that is the nature of urls :)
      I quickly checked the link - I actually think I have this version of the cookbook too, I will have to dig it out too.
      Maybe that will be my post for Vegan Mofo prompt in the next couple of days

      Delete
  6. Yum! Thanks for sharing. Those look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ah tasty pies, the pie season is finally here! You are doing very well with your vegan recipes by the way. I enjoy following very much. As it happens I have been eating many vegan dishes without planning, sometimes it just happens.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks VegHog. It certainly is.
      Yes like you, a lot of the dishes I make at home tend to be accidentally vegan, but always vegetarian. The only time I have to make more effort is with the cakes. I am pleased you are enjoying my contributions, I may give Vegan Mofo a miss next year.

      Delete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You