Friday, 4 September 2015

Vegan Month In My Kitchen

I really enjoy participating In My Kitchen posts for a number of reasons.  Firstly like most, it gives me a way to nosey around in other peoples kitchens without actually ever imposing myself on them. Secondly, I discover other worldly ingredients, and finally it connects me with other fellow bloggers around the world.  

As I am participating in Vegan Mofo this month, the stuff I share today will all be suitable for vegans, but that doesn't mean those of you who are not vegan won't enjoy some of them, so please stick around even if its just out of curiosity. 
Firstly I must show off some of my home grown produce, starting with these delightful colourful tomatoes in a fish shaped colander.  I also had some yellow and green courgettes aka zucchini's which I made into baked courgette - zucchini 'fries'. 
The plums are literally beginning to fall to the ground with the breeze, so I have been harvesting them and sharing them with family, friends and neighbours.  They are not the prettiest, but they taste lovely.  I will be baking some lovely sweet delights soon with them, as well as eating them natural.  
I've also got some beans - green and purple french climbing pole beans, runner beans and borlotti beans (not shown) that have been used mostly in side dishes. 
I picked up some more vegan VPud Black Pudding recently as I really liked it this time round than I had in the past.  I think the recipe may have been improved.  I will be making something with it soon.  I also have aubergines aka eggplant and sweet potatoes - both white and red variety from the green grocers, not my garden.  I am still thinking about what to do with them, other than baked spicy sweet potato chips - which I love, but a change is nice sometimes.  
I made some vegan facon 'bacon'  last weekend in readiness for Vegan Mofo.  I also shared it on Photo An Hour, if your interested in checking it out. 
In my kitchen store cupboard I have some Suma Wholefoods Wheat Gluten excellent for making seitan, some vegetarian suet that is suitable for vegan.  I am looking forward to making some sweet and savoury British - Welsh style puddings and Nut Roast.  I do often make my own nut roast, but sometimes its good to have a reliable back up.
Some Lentil Chips that are vegan and gluten free.  I have been trying to cut down on potato chips in favour of alternatives, this one was okay - I have to say, even though it was chilli and lemon, I think the flavour could have been enhanced further.
Neither of us consume dairy milk very much, but in an attempt to eat more cereal, D recently sampled some KoKo - alternative to milk and preferred it to the Soya drink we have in the house. So he has got back into the habit of eating more cereals for breakfast, instead of the regular weekend Veggie Fry-Up.  My nephew gave me some Vita Coco Natural Coconut Water.  I have to be honest, I am not quite sure about it, but am waiting to hear what D thinks.
Another Coconut drink, this one appealed because of the purple colour.  It is Taro Coconut Milk Drink.  I had it today.  It has an amazing lilac hue and the flavour is quite pleasant, it was light, a bit vanilla like, a little flowery and a little like sweet potato but not as rich.   And now for a very expensive vegan or vegetarian treat imported Dandies Marshmallow, but I don't do it that often and its a Treat!  I am looking forward to indulging myself. I have had vegan/vegetarian marshmallows in the past, but am curious to try these as lots of people on blogosphere have been raving about it. 
In my kitchen cupboards, right at the back I found these two Good Good Stuff  sweets (still in date).  I like them both very much, they actually have texture and flavour.  The Sugar Plums and Cola Breeze, are so much better than other vegetarian and vegan sweets that I have had in the past that just taste waxy or disintegrate in your mouth in moments, these are to be devoured slowly.  

Oh something else with coconut - coconut milk from a can this time.  I've made this colourful Caribbean vegan dish called 'Rundown'.  I will enlighten you more about it on Sunday, but I love it, it has sweetcorn, peppers, sweet potato, butternut squash, and kale from my garden.
I have been doing a lot of cooking from scratch recently.  I also made this soupy risotto looking dish where I have made the most of the courgettes and beans mentioned above from my garden, peas from my freezer, and edible flowers (nasturtium) also from my garden.
And finally, I made this vegan Black and Green Cheesecake from one of my favourite vegan cookbooks at the moment: V is For Vegan by Kerstin Rodgers.  I will share this vegan Avocado, Lime and Kiwi cheesecake in all its glory a little later, but for now I hope you have enjoyed peeking into my kitchen this month. 

Celia our gracious host from Fig and Lime Cordial is back hosting In My Kitchen. Please go and by and check out what is not just in her kitchen, but others bloggers from around the world.   

18 comments:

  1. That's a great range of stuff! I've never come across lentil chips before, but they sound like something I would enjoy. I'll be interested to see what you cook with the Sweet Potato, because I am hoping to have some home-grown ones before too long (if I'm lucky, that is).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mark. I found them in H&B, there are other variations like hummus too. I hope you do get to harvest some sweet potatoes of your own. I hope to post a recipe this month with the sweet potatoes, and yes - it will be vegan, but i am sure it will be easy for you to adapt for your own palette. Have a good weekend

      Delete
  2. Oh my, you have been cooking up a storm - I really like the look of the rundown stew and the cheesecake. I haven't come around to coconut water but only tasted it once. I wish we could buy vegetarian suet here - maybe I should try online! And all your produce looks great - I am particularly jealous of your plums

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I certainly have been Johanna. The 'rundown' was good. I hope to share it come Sunday for the vegan mofo prompt. The cheesecake is up this afternoon. I agree about the coconut water, I am not sure about it either. It used to be hard to find veg suet, but its becoming easier now, Ihope you can track some down on-line.

      Delete
  3. Isn't it lovely harvesting from the allotment and garden at this time of year?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is - just wish we had more - loads have been lost to the voracious appetite of the butterflies and horrid slugs and snails. Still, plenty to be thankful for.

      Delete
  4. I would be all over that taro drink!! Your kitchen life looks vibrant and creative!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for repaying the compliment and coming by via Vegan Mofo.

      Delete
  5. wow all the fabulous produce and products. ok forgive me but i have to make my usual joke- a cheese cake made with birds?:) a kiwi is a flightless bird so you must say kiwi fruit. ok rant over, and sorry! :)) how wonderful to have your own produce.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Sherry. Ah I like you joke, it is new to me. I did not get it at first, I guess because its a cultural joke, but once explained it made sense - thanks for making me smile.

      Delete
  6. Great garden produce, love the look of those plums! I'd love to tasty the kiwi cake; curious as to the taste. I'm sure the avocado gives it a lovely richness.:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Emily. There were so many plums, I gave loads and I mean loads away to neighbours, freinds and family and still we have some, nearly all gone though. The Avocado Lime cheesecake is awesome, I made some individual ones today. The kiwi is more decorative, could easily have been other fruit - but it made a fab change.

      Delete
    2. Oh I would have loved to have some plums! Trade you for some peaches! :) As for the cheesecake, I really have to check out that recipe!

      Delete
    3. Yes we could def. have swapped. I could't share the recipe on my blog, I know the author and as lovely as she is, I understand she wants people to buy the cookbook as I would be the same if I was in her shoes, but its a familiar Avocado Cheesecake recipe, so you may track it down on blogosphere,

      Delete
  7. Wow that cheescake looks incredible! Loads of great ideas - thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Saretapuri.
      I am so glad you like the cheesecake, its awesome I have made it again, its so light and delicious

      Delete
  8. The cheesecake looks incredible!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sareta,
      It is incredible, really - I am making some more, this time smaller versions

      Delete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You