Saturday, 19 February 2011

Cumin Chickpea flat cakes

If you take a look closer, you will see some Cumin chickpea flat cakes, albeit well hidden under the roasted winter vegetables. These Cumin chickpea flat cakes are both soft and crisp. The softness on the inside reminds me of hummus, and the crispness on the outside is a bit like chickpea pakoras or chickpea chips.

One of the things I've been trying to do over the past few months is go through my store cupboards in an attempt to (empty it and) use up some of the ingredients. My store cupboard is an extension of my kitchen cupboards. I have a tiny kitchen that is not able to accommodate my dried goods such as flours, spices, lentils as well as tins of tomatoes, beans and pulses - chickpeas being one of them. I have a lot of chickpea tins in my cupboard.
This morning I had also picked up some parsnips and Jerusalem artichokes from the farmers market. So along with the green garlicky kale, these fresh, local and seasonal vegetables formed part of our meal this evening. It was all good, very good in fact.

There is one thing I should mention though, especially if you decide that you wish to attempt these. When I turned the flat cakes out onto the plate, I noted the top was lovely and crisp, but the bottom not so much (see below). So if you wish for both sides to be crispy, I recommend halfway through the cooking process to remove from the tin(s). Flip them onto a non stick baking tin. Coat with a little olive oil and bake further until lightly crisp. I will definitely be doing this later in the week, as I have four Chickpea flat cakes left to consume. These will be good for a mid week working supper.
Cumin Chickpea flat cakes
Serves 6 – 8
Makes one 12 inch or 8 x 4 ½ inch round flan tins
2 tablespoons olive oil, plus extra for coating
3 medium onions, finely chopped
4 cloves garlic, crushed
2 teaspoons cumin seeds
3 x 400g cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed
Salt and pepper to taste
Heat the oil in a wide pan, add the onions and cover and fry gently for 10 - 15 minutes. Stirring every now and again to stop from sticking to the pan. Add the garlic and cumin seeds and cook for a few minutes. Remove the pan from the heat and add the chickpeas and some salt and pepper. Mash thoroughly. Adjust seasoning if necessary.
Put the mixture into a lightly oiled 12 inch round loose base flan tin and smooth the top. I actually used 8 individual round flan tins measuring 4 ½ inch. Gently baste the top with a little olive oil and bake in oven for 15 – 25 minutes or until golden – but don’t let it dry. Remove from the oven. Turn the flat cake out of the tin and slide it on to the dish.
NOTE: If you wish for both sides to be crispy, halfway through the cooking process remove from the tin(s) and flip onto a non stick baking tin. Coat with a little olive oil and bake further until lightly crisp. Slightly adapted from Rose Elliots Veggie Chic. Veggie Chic has also been released in paperback under the title of Sumptuous Suppers.


  1. Thank you for stopping by my blog. Your pictures and recipes look fabulous. We are going out to dinner in an hour, but I would be happy to eat at your table. Sorry about your loss of the allotment. George

  2. Such a gorgeous recipe!! I love the idea of a crispy hummus cake! :-) Beautiful presentation, too...

  3. I understand the store-cupboard dilemma. It's very convenient to have a supply of things that gives you the flexibility to make a variety of dishes without shopping specifically for their ingredients - but everyone's store-cupboard needs a "review" once in a while. I think ours has far too many tins of beans in it (and I don't mean just Baked Beans).

  4. This looks gorgeous, one I'll definitely be trying, thanks.

    Sue xx

  5. MMMMMMMMM,..these chickpea ckaes look so tasty! Thanks for the tip too! Those braised veggies over the top look so stylish too!

    I also love recipes of Rose Elliot's!

  6. Love chickpeas in a dhal so must give this a try

  7. They sound delicious and all from the storecupboard - even better.

  8. Thank you so, so much George.
    Fristly for repaying the compliment by comign by and for also becoming a follower. Its very kind of you. Thank you for your words of support too, they are really most appreciated.

    Thank you Astra Libris.

    Thanks Mark.
    So glad to read that I am not the only one with a 'store-cupboard dilemma'.
    So does this mean a lot more bean dishes are to appear on your dish :) Yours are home grown though - yes - much better I think.

  9. Thank you Sue.

    Thanks Sophie.
    Hip hip hooray for Rose Elliot - Queen of Vegetarian Cooking - well in the U.K for sure!

    Thank you Jane.
    Dal is my ultimate comfort food with rice or roti.

    Thank you Kath.
    I need to start going through those tins many of them too.

  10. This looks awesome, love those cute cakes made with chickpea flour.

  11. love your blog, I'm following!

    ~Would love you to enter my amazing GIVEAWAY - pasta lesson and meal with wine for two:


  12. Thank you so much Milly for the wonderful compliment.
    Most appreciated :)
    I will certainly come by.


If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You