Friday, 25 February 2011

Gobi Fritters with Carrot Salsa

Instead of having what some people do on a Friday night in Scotland - Fish Supper - we've had Gobi fritters and Beetroot-mint tea cakes. Many of you will be familiar with the word Gobi, its the Urdu, Punjabi and Hindi word for 'cauliflower' and I have to say they were very nice too. The Gobi fritters were lightly spiced. I'd go as far as describing them as cauliflower popcorn, as the bite size pieces were perfect to pick and eat with your fingers.

I accompanied the Gobi fritters and Beetroot-mint tea cakes with a light and refreshing carrot salsa. I really enjoyed the carrot salsa. It was sweet, spicy and herby. I will be making it again, perhaps to serve with some tortilla chips.
Those of you keen on the Beetroot -mint tea cakes will note that I have not posted the recipe, I promise to do so tomorrow.
Carrot salsa
Makes a large bowl
Ingredients
2 medium carrots, peeled and grated
1 small red onion, peeled and finely minced
2 tablespoons Jalapeño from a jar, roughly chopped
2 tomatoes, chopped
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon fresh coriander, minced
Method
Mix all the ingredients together in a dishing dish. Chill for an hour before serving. Adapted from 'Tis the Season.
Gobi Fritters
Ingredients

1 small cauliflower
For the spiced batter
1 teaspoon cumin seeds, toasted and ground
1 teaspoons black mustard seeds, toasted and ground
1 teaspoon red chilli flakes
100g chickpea flour, sifted
Enough water to combine
Salt to taste
Vegetable oil for deep frying
Method
For the batter

Put all the ingredients into a mixing bowl, then pour in enough water to combine and whisk gently. Season with salt and set aside for flavours to mingle.
Remove the outer leaves of the cauliflower. Rinse the cauliflower under water and then chop into bite sized florets.
Heat oil in a deep pan.
Add some of the cauliflower into the batter and coat well, then carefully place them in the hot oil in batches. Turning them now and again, so that they are browned and crisp all over. Remove from the oil with a slotted spoon onto a kitchen paper. If you are not serving them immediately, they will keep warm in the oven on low heat for a little while, but they are best eaten immediately.

17 comments:

  1. looks amazing! i have a feeling you live close to me. I live in Ayr. Where abouts are you? x

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I was in the Army (in a Gurkha regiment) we used the word "Gobi" just for cabbage; to us cauliflower was "Phul Gobi" ("Phul" being Nepali for "Flower"), but it doesn't matter what you call them, your cauliflower fritters will be brilliant anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love everything about this! What a delightful use of winter veggies. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks like a delicious meal. I will be giving the carrot salsa a go for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Colorful and geometric presentation. I am soothed by tidy photos. And I plan to try these out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like to try the carrot salsa, maybe I would need to put less jalapeños for my family :-), unless I find some mild ones!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gah, you're a beetroot tease!
    I love the look of the carrot salsa, I'll have to give that a try (I usually just shred carrot & add a couple of minced up pickled jalapeno slices & a spoonful of vinegar from the jar)
    As delicious as the Gobi fritters look, I am rubbish at deep frying. The spirit is willing, but the results are soggy!
    lbfx

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like the sounds of these. I've recently rediscovered the often under rated cauliflower. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Tnx for viewing and commenting on my posts.

    There’s an award waiting for you
    http://amisvegetariandelicacies.blogspot.com/p/recognition.html

    Hv a grt wk end!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow thpse gobi fritters look good! You're so clever!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I LOVE cauliflower fritters!!!! Yum!!!! But your carrot salsa, wow, it looks so colorful and so inviting, thank you for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks Rachel.
    I do live in the West of Scotland. I live just on the outskirts of Glasgow/Renfrew. Sadly I'll be leaving Scotland this year as things have changed around me :( I'll share more next week, just want to enjoy the weekend now x


    Thanks Mark.
    I learn so much about you every time you comment :)

    Funny I can't think of the Urdu/Hindi/Punjabi word for cabbage. Anyway, I guess its a bit like the American/English language - what we call a biscuit, the Americans would call a cookie. You may also find interesting, in many South Asian language 'Phul/Phool' means "Flower" too.


    Thank you Mama :)
    I have mroe beetroot to use. I think I may still have some in my garden plot too.


    Thank you Cabbage Tree Farm.
    The carrot salsa is really really good!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you Jen S.
    So lovely to hear from you.


    Thanks Alessandra.
    The carrot salsa really is good, just adapt it to your own taste :-)


    Thank you so much littleblackfox.
    I've been thinking of you recently and will be in touch soon x

    The carrot salsa is really good, pls do give that a try. I hope your future attempts to deep fry get better.


    Thanks cityhippyfarmgirl.
    I'm not a fan of the cauliflwoer, but since blogging i have found many ways of enjoying this white unattractive vegetable, and sometimes I have to say Yum too :)


    Thank you Ami.
    Thank you also for thinking of my blog. It is very kind of you.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you Sooz.
    Not clever at all, just getting better with age :)


    Thank you so much Theanne.


    Thanks Mateja.
    I really recommend the carrot salsa :)
    Please do try it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Waw!! What a lovely platter filled with tasty goods!
    These would be great & tasty apart well flavoured canapés!

    Yummie! I love the added carrot salsa too!

    ReplyDelete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You