Monday, 14 February 2011

Seitan Chorizo chowder

The sun came out to tease us, but it was very quickly followed by hail stones - in which, of course I was caught - hitting my face icy cold like shards of sharp glass.

Anyway after getting home, drying my face and hair, a bowl of spicy seitan chorizo chowder was very much welcomed.
Seitan Chorizo chowder
Serves 4
Ingredients
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 small onion, finely sliced
450g floury potatoes such as Maris Piper or King Edward, cubed
1 leek, thinly sliced
1 teaspoon cayenne
1 ½ pints of vegetable stock
200g - 250g seitan chorizo sausages, cut into ½ inch wide sliced. Follow link for recipe.
Salt and pepper to taste
Method
Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in large pan and cook the onion, garlic and potatoes for 5 minutes until lightly golden. Add the leek and cayenne and cook for a couple of minutes. Add the stock, bring to the boil and simmer for 20minutes until the potatoes are very soft and beginning to bread up into the soup. Using a potato masher, roughly mash the potatoes into the soup.
In another pan, heat the remaining olive oil. Add the seitan chorizo pieces and cook for a minute then flip over and cook on the other side, then add to the soup, along with the oil from the pan. Simmer gently for 5 minutes. Check the seasoning, ladle into bowls. Adapted very slightly from Ainsley Harriots Gourmet Express 2

7 comments:

  1. Hey, this is real fusion food - seitan (Japanese?); chorizo (Spanish); chowder (American). I bet it was the ideal warmer after braving the elements...
    BTW: Did you see the email I sent you a couple of days ago?

    ReplyDelete
  2. What better to warm us up (on any occasion, weather or emotional storm)than a nice cozy hearty bowl of soup and yours looks delicious! Thank you for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yumm ! I bet that warmed the cockles of your heart.

    ReplyDelete
  4. looks like a superb meal, very good recipe & looks like it has a great flavor.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Mark.
    Yes, I guess it is. I just had not thought of it that way :) I guess I am a diverse girl by heart.
    PS Just responded to your email.


    Thank you Mateja ^_^
    I'm quite touched by your comment, especially the line '... emotional storm' :) Its actually quite appropriate.


    Thank you Patricia.
    Certainly did warm the cockles of my heart.


    Thank you Jennifurla.
    It really was full of flavour, much of it from the seitan chorizo.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my, now I got hungry again - looks so yummy! :-)

    ReplyDelete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You