Monday, 7 February 2011

Jalapeño and Garlic Kale Stew

Every time D travels to England, I lose all inspiration to cook for myself. In fact I become rather lazy resorting to frozen chips, pizza or beans on toast. This time though, I thought I would try and motivate myself and make an effort to cook something good and healthy for myself. As well as show him that I do not survive solely on junk food when he is away.

Yesterday evening, I made this Jalapeño and Garlic Kale Stew.
Even though I halved the quantity of the Jalapeño and Garlic Kale Stew recipe, there was still enough for two, if not three people.
The gravy in this recipe is light and can be described more as a broth than a stew. I think it's crying out for dumplings to sup up the mildly spiced gravy. So if you want it your stew to have more substance, then please top with some dumplings. Either make a dumpling recipe that you are familiar with or try this one for suet dumplings. Add the dumplings to the pot about 10 minutes before you wish to serve.
Jalapeño and Garlic Kale Stew
Serves 2 - 3
Ingredients2 pints vegetable stock
6 cloves garlic, peeled
1 bay leaf
½ teaspoon coriander seeds, ground
1 tablespoon pickled jalapeño pepper, sliced (from a jar)
1 large potato, peeled and cut into ½ inch cubes
1 large carrot, peeled and chopped into ½ inch pieces or matchsticks
50g kale, large stems removed and cut into 1 inch strips
1 small tomato, chopped
optional: 1 tablespoons fresh coriander, minced
Salt and pepper to taste
1 tablespoon lime juice or 1 tablespoon pickled juice from the Jalapeño jar
MethodIn a pot, combine the stock, garlic, bay leaf, coriander seeds and jalapeño . Bring ingredients to a simmer, and simmer them for 10 minutes uncovered. Add the potatoes, carrots, tomatoes and kale to the pot, and simmer the mixture for 10 - 15 minutes or until the potatoes are almost tender.
Then add the coriander, salt and pepper and juice of either lime or pickled jalapeño. Serve the stew in large bowls, discarding the garlic cloves, if you like. Adapted from Vegetarian Planet Didi Eammons.

15 comments:

  1. That looks so warm and good...the weather has turned back so cold after our little reprieve...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Affectioknit.
    It is warming and really welcomed when outside its wet wet wet - so wet, my nose is running a little.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a blog friend in Malaysia who just now has seedling kale...and here you have jalapeno and kale stew...I keep wanting to try some of your recipes...but the next recipe you have sounds like the ONE...so I've yet to make anything! I'm "stewing in my own juice"! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's funny how much easier it is to cook for others. It is nice to make the effort when you are alone though, it makes you feel you are really spoiling yourself. It looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Theanne,
    Kale is in season right now. Last year I had loads growing in my garden plot, sadly this year none as the caterpillars got to them :(
    This Jalapeno and kale stew is quite a healthy dish I think.

    Don't worry about not getting to try some of the recipes featued here. I visit fellow bloggers sites and bookmark recipes all the time, but its difficult as I have a number of bookmarked pages in my cookbooks too - after all there is only so much one can eat :)
    Soemtimes I think its good to drool - keeps the weight off too :) LOL


    Thanks Kath.
    I am struggling to make an effort for myself, but I have my nephew coming up in the next few days to keep me company. A good excuse to cook for him and fatten him up :)
    I'd say this stew was tasty, but also healthy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. MMMMMMMM,..what a pleasant & fab veggies stew!

    Lovely food!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's a really intriguing recipe! I don't know if I have ever seen jalapeno and kale together but it sounds great! Love the carrots in there too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi MegSmith.
    Thanks for you comment.
    It really works, if it didn't I would have honestly said so.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yummy, looks great! Thanks for sharing the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  10. your dish looks wonderful, makes me wanna dive my fork and spoon into it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you so much Heidi.
    So delighted that you like!


    Thank you Jean.
    Although its very light, there is somethign quite virtuous about eating it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Cooking for one mustn't be much fun. Part of the joy of food is the sharing of it with other people. I'm away from home on business for a few days at present, and staying in an hotel, and the restaurant leaves a lot to be desired. When you are a foodie, functional food it hard to endure! Can't wait to get home...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Mark,
    Your right. Cooking homely food is really about sharing with others.

    Don't envy you staying in a hotel and eating the restaurant food. I had to face that situation a few times last year, although I enjoyed the sights, I did not like the grub, (and limited choice in my case) one incy wincy bit, but you have to eat.

    Look on the bright side, when you get home, there will be food made with TLC.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This stew looks so good! With all that garlic & the spicy jalepeno, it has to be!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you so much Charlie,
    It was good and felt somewhat healthy too :)

    ReplyDelete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You