Friday, 18 February 2011

Chocolate Gingerbread Cake

Is it spring here yet!? It still feels so wintry.

As well as a hot drink like mulled wine or hot cider, a piece of cake spruced up with a little of ginger would not go amiss either.
On the first day of eating this Chocolate Gingerbread cake, the texture was airy light, almost mousse like. However, a day or two later, the texture firmed up a little, still very tasty. The ginger in the cake certainly kicks you in the mouth on first bite and guess what?! This cake is vegan too.
Chocolate Gingerbread
1/3 cup or 30g cocoa powder
1 1/3 cup or180g plain flour
½ teaspoon bicarbonate soda
½ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 ½ teaspoon ground ginger
1 cup or 165g brown sugar
1 cup or 200ml strong brewed coffee, cooled
½ cup or 100ml vegetable oil
¼ cup or 55g chopped crystallized ginger
2 teaspoons white wine vinegar
Heat the oven to Gas Mark 5. Oil an 8 inch round baking tin.
In a large bowl, sift the flour, cocoa, soda, salt, cinnamon and ginger. Stir in the sugar. In a small bowl, combine the coffee with the oil and whisk. Then beat the liquid into the dry ingredients. Stir in the crystallized ginger, and then quickly stir in the vinegar.
Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 30 – 35 minutes, or until a toothpick in the centre of the cake comes out clean. From Moosewood Restaurant Celebrates.


  1. This looks really good. A delightful combination!

  2. Something I need soon is a good chocolate cake...

  3. Thank you Ann.

    Thanks Lela.

    Thanks affectioknit.

  4. The wintry weather is definitely an excuse for a slice of spicy cake! Love that it's vegan too - I always feel less guilty when eating a vegan cake!

  5. Chocolate and ginger, delcious! I could eat the whole thing by myself :D

  6. Yum! I love gingerbread (and chocolate, of course)! Love the added crystallized ginger too :).

  7. Thanks Hazel.
    Good and spicy it certainy is :)

    Thank you Mateja ^_^
    It would be pretty easy to eat yourself :D

    Thanks Charlie :)

  8. It looks so tasty!! I want to try making it now

  9. Have you tried it served warm (as a dessert) with a scoop of ice-cream on top?

  10. Thanks fer.

    Hi Mark,
    Certainly have. On the first day of making it was served with vanilla ice-cream. Lovely. Second day - cold - I had it plain, but D and the nephew had it with some whipped cream.

  11. I love reading your blog so I've nominated you as a stylish bloggger.

  12. Hi, nice blog & good post. You have beautifully maintained it,Its really helpful for me, hope u have a wonderful day & awaiting for more new post. Keep Blogging!
    kitchen garden

  13. It looks and sounds delicious. I very much like the idea of the crystalized ginger in there. I was reading a chocolate gingerbread recipe in one my books early this morning and then I see this. It must be a sign...

  14. Chocolate gingerbread....oh that looks good.

  15. Thank you so, so much Millie D.

    Thanks durga.

    Kath - it was lovely and the ginger will kick you in the mouth.
    Hope you make some of your very own from the book you were looking at earlier :)

    Thanks briarrose.

  16. Nothing quite like a lovely piece of chocolate cake - loving the ginger component.

  17. That is a luscious combination of chocolate and ginger, Mango. And I do live the crystallized ginger, too.


If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You