Saturday, 26 February 2011

Beetroot - mint tea cakes

The name of these cakes somewhat suggest that these are 'cakes' are sweet and should be served with cup of tea, but I must clarify from the onset. These Beetroot-mint tea cakes are actually savoury. The 'mint tea' in the cake serves purely as an ingredient; or a flavour enhancer, and what a lovely addition it was too. These Beetroot cakes were neither earthy or spicy, somehow the mint managed to tame the rooty flavour of the beetroot.

These Beetroot cakes were also quite dense and had a bit of chew, unlike the autumnal beetroot fritters I've made before. I think these would be fantastic in a burger bun for flavour, texture and colour.
I have to admit, originally I was just going to use dried mint, then I remembered I still had some spicy mint tea sent to me last year by my best friend, so I used some of that for this recipe. If you don't have any just substitute with dried mint, I have no doubt it will work just as well.

I am submitting this recipe to PJ of Seduce my Tastebuds who is hosting a food blogger event called Herbs and Flowers in my Platter. The idea is to cook and blog about a vegetarian or vegan dish using a herb or flower. The theme this month is mint.
Beetroot –mint tea Cakes
Makes 6
Ingredients
2 large raw beetroots, peeled and grated (about 300g)
1 small red onion, finely sliced
110g chickpea flour, plus extra if required
1 teaspoon coriander seeds, toasted and ground
1 teaspoon cumin seeds, toasted and ground
1 teaspoon spicy mint tea or dried mint
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon red chilli flakes
Vegetable oil for frying
Method
In a mixing bowl, combine the beetroot, onion, chickpea flour, coriander and cumin seeds, mint, salt and chilli flakes. Mix until the dough hold together in a firm patties, adding more flour if necessary to aid the binding process. Divide the beetroot mixture into 6 and mould with your hands into round cakes, about 3 inches wide and ½ inch thick.
Heat the oil in a wide pan, add cakes. Fry on one side for 3 minute, before flipping over and cooking the other side, press gently with a spatula until browned and crisp. Adapted from The Artful Vegan: Fresh Flavours from the Millennium Restaurant.

14 comments:

  1. Mmm, those look good. Do you think I could substitute fresh mint? I've got tons of the stuff growing in the garden.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there Funkbunny.
    Yes, I do. I'd recommend a tablespoon of fresh - but please do it to your own taste as there are so many different varieties of mint out there inclduing pineapple and chocolate mint.

    ReplyDelete
  3. this looks really delicious, and healthy at the same time! now we know usually those food which are tasty aint really ranked high in the nutrition chart...but this one is! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look lovely! I think they would be delicous in a burger bun too, I've got some fresh beetroot from the farmers market, so I'll certainly be making these!
    Much love, dear friend

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks so tempting:).Thanks for sending it across to the event...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much Jean.
    It is shallow fried so I give it the healthy snack thumbs up :)

    Thanks Padhu.


    Thank you littleblackfox.
    Thse were fromt he farmers market too, but i do have some in my garden plot. The sun is out today, so maybe I'll get a chance to dig them out.


    Thank you PJ.
    So glad I discovered the event through a fellow blogger and lookign forward to seeing the other contiributions.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh beetroot burgers ! Those sound fabulous I knew I had ordered so many beetroot seeds for a reason :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you so much Esther.
    Hope you enjoy.
    Also Thank you so much for choosing to become a follower. It is most appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I totally adore beetroots and this sounds delicious to me..Great recipe!!

    US Masala

    ReplyDelete
  10. Tasty beet root cakes, savoury!! I love them!

    ReplyDelete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You