Tuesday, 15 July 2014

Vegan Smoked Paprika Capsicum and Broad Beans Tartlets

What we know as peppers in the U.K, bell peppers to be more precise, my mother has always called them capsicum, so it is with her in mind that I am calling my peppers in this recipe Capsicum.

I picked up some colourful dainty capsicums from the markets the other day, only because they looked rather cute.   I was going to slit them open, deseed and then roast them in the oven with a little olive oil and seasoning, then the plan was to stuff them with a grain, something like quinoa or couscous, but then when the day came to cook with them, well I couldn't be bothered.  I think I just felt hot and bothered, well that is my excuse and I am sticking to it.  So I changed my mind making these Capsicum Tartlets instead, a little bit more easier as the pastry was ready made and the rest was quite straight forward, well I think so.  
Instead of throwing the sliced capsicum on to the paprika infused tofu batter, I decided to take time and make them sunburst style, the blanched broad beans however were just thrown on.  

We enjoyed these over two days, first warm from the oven.  The second day, at room temperature. The smoked paprika really lifts what could easily be described as a plain Capsicum Tart.  It made a pleasant change from the traditional egg and cheese based tarts.  

Vegan Smoked Paprika Capsicum and Broad Beans Tart
Serves 4
For the filling
Ready bought pastry to line 4 - 6 x 6 inch fluted pie tins; or make your own.

Baby peppers, cored, seeds removed, rinsed and sliced into strips
Handful of broad beans (or peas) blanched, remove the outer skin if you so wish
365g firm tofu, crumbled
Salt and pepper to taste
1/2 - 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
Preheat oven to Gas mark 4/180oc.
Roll and line 1 x 8 inch fluted pastry tin or 4 small ones.  
Blind bake the pastry according to packet instructions. 
Then leave to cool and make the tart filling.

In a food processor, add the tofu, paprika and season heavily with salt and pepper and then blitz until smooth.  Spoon carefully and smooth down evenly onto the pastry base of the 4 tarts.  
Lay out the capsicum strips and scatter the broad beans over the paprika infused tofu batter.
Season with salt and pepper.
Bake for 20 - 25 minutes, or until set.  Allow to cool for a few minutes before removing from the tins and serving.    


  1. What a fun recipe...I love the sunbursts and the vibrant flavors! Thanks for sharing the recipe...cheers! :)


If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You