Sunday, 20 July 2014

Carrot Ketchup

I've made some vegetable burgers recently, and wanted to try out something different in place of relish or supermarket bought red ketchup or the brown sauce varieties. I had loads of carrots in my vegetable basket and decided to take inspiration from my recent Carrot and Coriander Hummus and thought what if I went a step further and pureed the carrots to a sauce, the result awesome.  
The Raw Carrot Ketchup was sweet from the carrots, but it also delivered a light twang from the tamarind, and a little bit of warmth from the dried chilli flakes.  The coriander is of course,  optional.  I love the flavour, so tend to throw it in lots of savoury dishes, but feel free to omit this if you so wish.   I also loved how smooth the carrot ketchup was, considering it was made from raw carrots, there were no bits at all.  Pour and scrape into a squeezy bottle and squirt over oven baked chips, sweet potatoes wedges, vegetable burgers and much more.   Yes you read right, I did use raw carrots for the recipe.  If your carrots are organic, you do not even have to peel them, just give them a good scrub.  For ease I used tamarind concentrate, but you can if you so wish use **tamarind pulp or those dried pressed tamarind cakes which of course will need to be soaked and pressed of its juices, then omit or reduce the water in the recipe below.

You can try to make this ketchup in you blender, but I must tell you that I chose to try out my new Optimum 9400 Blender from Froothie.  I do have a blender from a  well known designer brand, and often make spreads and dips such as Hummus, but it does not offer the same creamy smooth bit- free that I got from the Optimum 9400 Blender. The other thing I noted immediately is that majority of the blenders that I have used in my life would take a good 10 - 15 minutes in reaching the point of creamy smoothness, as well as a lot of stopping and scraping down of the blitzed vegetables from the sides.  Using the Optimum 9400 Blender  reduced this massively.  The ketchup was made literally within a minute and I hardly had to scrape the vegetables off the side.  It was such a breeze to use. 

This carrot ketchup is a delicious change from tomato ketchup or even brown sauce!  Next watch out for my Beetroot Ketchup!


Carrot, Chilli and Tamarind Ketchup
Makes 1 pint
Ingredients
6 medium carrots, peeled and roughly chopped
100g sun dried tomatoes, re hydrated * or 100g sun dried tomatoes in olive oil
1 tablespoon olive oil*(omit this if using from a jar)
1 teaspoon of tamarind concentrate from a jar** see not above
300ml water ** see note above
Optional: Handful of fresh coriander or parsley
Method
Put all the ingredients except for the water into blender and blitz until the ingredients are in literally in pieces, then stop and pour in all of the water and blitz again to smooth thick but pourable, squeezable consistency, not a puree, it has to be thick ketchup.
Keep refrigerated and use within a fortnight.

20 comments:

  1. This sounds intriguingly good Shaheen!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow - this is amazing! Do you think it would work with an ordinary blender/processor? I fear they would burn out trying to pulverise the carrots enough - maybe I'll try it with cooked carrots instead (reducing the raw cred but certainly saving the machinery!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lucy, I would not risk it. I made a vegetable hummus in one of my designer brand blenders and it burned out, I would advise perhaps either chopping it down well ie grating or part cooking it.

      Delete
  3. Hello Shaheen! It's been awhile since I wrote you. But I have an excuse, I have a newborn baby boy! The third one.
    I have to try all the new recipes I missed and I hope my older son can taste vegetables in a different way. He is on a low sodium diet, and it´s so difficult sometimes. But I now I'll find inspiration in your blog.
    With love
    Verónica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello lovely Veronica. I know, I do come by and see lovely baby pictures. I have left some comments, do hope you got them. No worries for commenting on my blog, I have been bad too recently with life distracting me from blogging and catching up with loyal readers. I hope you find some inspiration on my blog, but please also check out Tinned Tomatoes blog, she has a little one and her recipes are far more child friendly than mine can sometimes be. Warmest of wishes, and love Shaheen to you and your loved ones and the new little one xx

      Delete
  4. Wow. Mind blown. I LOVE THIS! The next thing to be made in my Optimum blender shall be your carrot ketchup. This sounds sooooo good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Kate. I so hope you like it, tamarind is an acquired taste, but as you may know its the secret ingredient in brown sauce delivering that un-mistakable twang, that i just love and chilli kick :)

      Delete
  5. great idea for burgers and I love your photo of the ketchup - made me smile

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Johanna. I did actually have the sauce squeezed over a vegan burger and even a veggie sausage, but it did not look right and i decided, something different was required. The little carrot is home grown :0)

      Delete
  6. Hooray - Freedom from additives and stuff the names of which I can't even pronounce.

    Good creation, Shaheen. Congrats!

    Peace :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Chandra. I so agree and I am soooo pleased you like. Always lovely to hear from you.

      Delete
  7. This sounds wonderful! Can't wait to try it, thanks so much for the recipe :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Debbie. So good to hear from you, i think its been years :)

      Delete
  8. Beautiful sounding, super-easy ketchup. Wow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that is the beauty of the Optimum Blender makes raw recipes such as this, super easy.

      Delete
  9. What a fantastic idea! And such a great way to mix up burger flavours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you littleveganbear. Its a nice change for a vegan burger.

      Delete
  10. Yum, just made this and its delicious. Add some stock and it would be a beautiful soup too!

    ReplyDelete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You