Friday, 11 July 2014

Vegan Strawberry Cake

Some more strawberry recipes, this time some vegan Strawberry Cakes.
I actually made these Strawberry Cakes in mini loaf pans a couple of weeks with home grown strawberries. My strawberries are now beginning to slow down in their production, they have come in all shapes and sizes this year, but every one has been sweet.
Although the strawberries have been growing well in my garden plot, unfortunately I have not been able to harvest large quantities, or enough to make home-made strawberry jam or strawberry curd, unless I find myself somewhere where you can pick you own.   
Home-made Strawberry Jam from 2010
I am sharing some of these vegan Strawberry cakes with The Biscuit Barrel Challenge - the theme is In Season Fruits and these would fit perfectly in a biscuit barrel. Thsi month it is hosted by I'd Rather Much Bake Than...

Vegan Strawberry Cakes
Serves 6 maybe 8 mini loafs
Ingredients
280g plain flour
2 teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon bicarbonate soda
½ teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons ground flax seeds 
90g golden caster sugar
125ml vegetable oil
140ml red berry juice of your choice
A good handful of fresh strawberries, sliced most of them, but keep 3 - 4 back and slice in half and keep aside
Optional: Icing sugar for dusting
Method
Preheat oven to gas mark 4/180oc.
In a large bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and salt.  Stir in the flax seeds, sugar, oil, juice and chopped strawberries.  Stir gently until just mixed.  The mixture will seem dry, but don't worry, it will moisten with the strawberry slices.  Spoon into a greased or lined mini loaf tins.  Press a strawberry half on top of the batter and bake for 25 -30 minutes.  
Test with a skewer to see if done.  Allow to cool before tucking in and dust with optional icing sugar. 

6 comments:

  1. Cute cakes! Raw strawberries are lovely, but cooked ones have an eve.better flavour, I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, cooking them does intensify flavour.

      Delete
  2. these look gorgeous with the strawberry embedded in them! and I am sure they would taste great too

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Johanna. People do eat with their eyes, don't they.

      Delete
  3. I would be hard pushed to let these cool before diving right in. They sound so yummy =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Laura, but you must the strawberries would be quite hot :)

      Delete

Thank you so much for taking the time to read my blog! I will always try to reply, even if its a simple Thank you.
You can also find me on;
Twitter: @SeasonalShaheen