Monday, 7 July 2014

Small Pickings

It's been a funny weekend, rain and shine - rain and shine - at least the plants are loving it.

D went into the greenhouse yesterday and described it as a scene from the movie The Day of the Triffids.  He said every time he goes into the greenhouse, he swears they've grown taller and are steadily creeping forward.   The greenhouse is his space, I tend to the garden space.  I've got quite a few pictures to share with you namely of the fruit trees, but will focus on the fruit and vegetables that I have harvested most recently.  

I am fighting over the strawberries as the little tweety birds are getting them to them well before me. As well as making a savoury Strawberry and Lettuce Risotto, a Strawberry and Custard Tart and Strawberry Pavlova, I have made a more recently and will share them with you later int he week.
We have enjoyed Lollo Rosso lettuce in sandwiches 'buttered' with home-made carrot hummus or next to our main meal , as well as some radishes, eaten raw.  If you look closely you will see that I am using crushed egg shells to try and deter those horrid slugs, there are just so many of them. 
I've harvested some peas and yellow mangetout (see photograph below).  I've recently added them to a dish called  freekah Pilau.  There are more to harvest, I am a little worried that they may be mealy.  I will see later on. 
Yellow mangetout dancing and mingling with sweet peas.
I am sharing this post with Daphne Dandelions for Harvest Monday

20 comments:

  1. Very lovely pictures, especially those gorgeous peas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you get the upper hand on those slugs. I so hate slugs. Luckily for me this house doesn't have as many as my last house.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know how you ever manage to harvest the peas. I would just stand there munching, they look so good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to be honest, so many have gone mealy. My fault, for being such a slow harvester.

      Delete
  4. I wish our strawberries were still producing but sadly we are done for the year. We made a lot of jam out of ours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My strawberries are slowing down now, or the birds are getting to them well before me. I don't have enough for jam though :(

      Delete
  5. So beautiful!! I've always been great at planting flower, veggie, and fruit seeds, but the only one I've ever had trouble with are strawberries. The plant grows a little (two small leaves), and end up dying within 1-2 weeks. :(

    vegcourtesy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you lovely Adi. Maybe pick up some established plants from the garden centre and try those.

      Delete
  6. It might be a small harvest, Shaheen, but I bet it's satisfying for you to be able to get stuff from your own garden again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mark. It certainly is, but my growing mojo is really slow, not getting much enthusiasm, so need a kick up the backside, hopefully it will come back. I've been lazy in the garden :(

      Delete
  7. That lettuce looks lovely - as do those peas. I'm harvesting snap peas in the garden as fast as I can, I always hesitate to say that I have too many because I know that in another 3 weeks, I will be missing them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. You are wise. Veg come and they go, then its back to the supermarket or grocery store.

      Delete
  8. How nice of the peas to be yellow. That's what I need, then I can see them to harvest before they get too big. I am always losing them in the foliage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you David. I have to admit, I have been a bit lazy harvesting them and some have gone too mealy and tough. I need to get my growing mojo back, slowly but surely. But I know what you mean about losing them in foliage.

      Delete
  9. The lettuce is very pretty. It looks similar to Lollo Rosso with its curled leaves and bright red edges. Your carrot hummus looks really good. I have pinned it to try later. ~ Grow a Good Life

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rachel, Thanks your right - it is actually Lollo Rosso, in my quick typing, I wrote the wrong one, thanks for the keen eye. I hope you try the carrot hummus, feel free to adapt it to your own taste, its very versatile.

      Delete
  10. Hi Shaheen, I hope you've got your gardening mojo back? I've been able to harvest some broad beans which I made Guacamole from. I know what you mean about those pesky slugs! Have you tried putting hair down, it helps if you've got a dog that malts ALL the time but the slugs don't like crossing it. I've used my own hair too before now! Anything to deter those pesky slimers! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To be truthful, no - I think this year is going to be hard. Next year, hopefully more organised. The bugs and birds are beating us. I hope to get a dog oneday :) but not tried hair, I think straw and hay have the same effect.

      Delete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You