Monday, 21 July 2014

Raw Carrot Halwa Mousse Pudding

Well this Raw Carrot Halwa Mousse Pudding has no cream in it, its not even substituted with vegan cream either.  How can this be, some of you may be wondering, well let me share.  I've recently come across a number of ice-cream recipes made without an ice-cream maker, the secret ingredient being frozen bananas.  

I read of this fantastic tip a few good years back in some of my vegan cookbooks, but never attempted to try it because even though you do not require a ice-cream machine, you did require a blender with a good blade and now I have a Optimum 9400 Blender  thanks to Froothie, the culinary experiments can begin.
I was originally just going to make vegan Carrot Mousse, then my thoughts turned to Carrot Ice-cream as I've made a dairy version in the past and it was delicious, but then  when I took a little taster of the mushed carrots and frozen bananas - it just tasted a bit like Carrot Halwa.  

I've featured my mothers Carrot Halwa on my blog before, but never shared her recipe, she still has to give it to me. So today, I offer you a vegan creamy version with nuts and all. Its not intense in orange colour, but does have the sweetness and grainy texture that you get from a traditional semolina halwa, so a little goes a long way.  I know it looks quite retro and won't be to every ones taste, firstly because its raw, but secondly because I know some people are still unsure about vegetables in desserts, cakes and puddings, but its worth trying to know for sure.  It also reminded me a little of Sweet Potato Mousse too. 

Oh I must be honest with you and share this before I go, promise you won't laugh at me, promise... oh go on then, my husband did.  Well for this recipe, I chucked some bananas in the freezer, whole and unpeeled - yes, they had to be peeled and chopped for ease.  Still  no flapping here.  I took them out 30 minutes before making the recipe and the peel came off easy.  Not completely as silly after all, but I do not recommend this namely for speed.  


Raw Carrot Halwa Mousse Pudding
Serves 4-6
Ingredients
2 frozen bananas, peeled and chopped
4 - 6 medium carrots, fresh or frozen
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 teaspoons agave syrup (maple syrup or honey) or to taste
100g mixture of cashew nuts, pistachio nuts and almond nuts 
2 cardamon seeds, seeds crushed (discard outer green part)
Optional: Mixture of cashew nuts, pistachio nuts and almond nuts for topping
1 teaspoon cinnamon powder, plus extra for dusting
Method
Put all ingredients into a blender such as a Optimum 9400 Blender, start of on low then gradually increase speed to medium.  Blitz and puree until ingredients are well combined and have a smoothish consistency.  
Carefully pour between 4 - 6 glasses  
Chill until ready to serve.  
Dust with cinnamon powder and decorate with optional crushed nuts for effect and additional textures.
Best eaten on the day, or the day after (just) with a dollop of vegan cream for cool contrast.
Or if you want to make Raw Carrot Halwa  Ice-cream, put into a plastic container and freeze until ready to eat. 

4 comments:

  1. I'm craving carrots at the moment, so your recent recipes are ideal :-) I really fancy this one especially

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. I think this one is an acquired taste, make sure you use the freshest carrots you can get your mitts on as they will be sweeter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a usual idea Shaheen, I would never have thought of that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its just a shame, I did not throw on some pistachio and cashew nuts as it doesn't look so pretty, a few colourful nuts would have made it more interesting i think.

      Delete

Thank you so much for taking the time to read my blog! I will always try to reply, even if its a simple Thank you.
You can also find me on;
Twitter: @SeasonalShaheen