Friday, 25 July 2014

Beetroot and Raspberry Bakewell Oat Bars

I made these Beetroot and Raspberry Bakewell Bars early in the week, for us to munch on while we work or for a easy breakfast bite.  The reason I've mentioned Bakewell in the recipe title is because these Oat bars reminded me of Bakewell tarts, not just because of the raspberries but also the content of the ground almonds.  
The raspberries are from my garden.  I  have admit that they have been tasting that good in the raw, a bit on the watery side, but when cooked or pureed there is a complete transformation in flavour, which have made these a delight to eat.  I also picked a small beetroot from the garden, unsure what to do with it - I decided to grate and throw it in with the raspberries into these oaty bars, you barely know it is there as its gets lost with the raspberries.  
I am sharing some of these Beetroot and Raspberry Bakewell Oat Bars with Alphabakes hosted this month by Ros of The More Than Occasional Baker and Caroline Makes.  The letter this month is 'R' and Raspberries are just so seasonal right now; and Credit Crunch Munch with Camilla of Fab Food For All and Helen of Fuss Free Flavours.  This month it is being hosted by Sarah at Maison and Cupcake.  



Beetroot and Raspberry Oat Bars
7 x 11 inch baking tin lined with baking parchment paper or equivalent
Ingredients
300g rolled oats
170g sugar
100g ground almonds (or dessicated coconut)
100g plain flour
300g butter (or vegan alternative)
300g fresh raspberries
1 medium beetroot, grated
Method
Preheat oven to gas mark 4.
Put the oats, sugar, ground almonds and flour in a large bowl and stir well.  Form a well in the centre.
Melt the butter in a saucepan over medium heat, then put into the well and stir until combined.
In another bowl, combine the raspberries and grated beetroot, stir gently to mix.
Press half of the oaty mixture into the lined baking tin.  Next scatter over the beetroot-raspberry mix evenly over the base.  Now cover the beetroot-raspberries with the remaining oaty mixture and press down firmly.
Place in the oven and bake for 30 - 35 minutes or until golden brown.  Cool in the tin, then cut into bars.



12 comments:

  1. Would it bake and turn out as good with honey? I can't have sugar...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Heidi,
      I'm not quite sure to be honest, I have made these kind of oat bars with some honey and sugar, but never just honey. Sorry, you will just have to experiment in which case half the quantities first.

      Delete
    2. Ok thanks. If you could in the future, make more recipes with sugar substitutes. I'd appreciate it. Love your blog.

      Delete
    3. I will try Heidi. My raw food recipes are probably going to be the ones that may appeal to you the most, but I will try. Thank you for your kind words.

      Delete
  2. sounds like a delicious way to eat a bit more veg - love these sorts of slices, especially with berries and it sounds like a great way to eat yours

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Johanna, you hardly know its there, I have to be honest probably not worth mentioning. I've made a vegan version in the past, but the bars are a lot more softer in texture.

      Delete
  3. Love the sound of the Bakewell bars! we tried a Ruby Tandoh recipe in the Guardian last week which used pistachio instead of almonds in a cherry bakewell tart. it was gorgeous. Even if you don't buy the Guardian you can follow her recipes on the website for free.

    http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2014/jul/13/cherry-meringue-stack-pistachio-tart-recipe-ruby-tandoh

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Ray. I do check out Ruby Tandoh recipes now and again, I follow her on twitter too. So will check out this recipe that you mention, sounds delightful - I do like pistachio nuts, a bit of a luxury in my home. Thanks for the link too, off to check it out now.

      Delete
  4. Great use of your garden produce! I'd never have thought to put raspberries and beetroot together. I've only ever tried a chocolate and beetroot cake.Must give this a go! Thanks for entering AlphaBakes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I've made beetroot and chocolate cake, so knew the raspberries would work here as more flavour ful, Thank you so much for hosting, hope to join again next month.

      Delete
  5. I love Bakewell tarts and the addition of beetroot would work so well. I wish we saw beetroot used in more desserts and cakes.

    Thanks for adding to Credit Crunch Munch this month. The round up is now published at 24 Thrifty Summer Recipe Ideas and next month's event is being hosted by Elizabeth's Kitchen Diary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sarah, I've been using vegetables like beetroot in cakes and desserts for a long while, and always enjoyed it. Thank you for hosting.

      Delete

Thank you so much for taking the time to read my blog! I will always try to reply, even if its a simple Thank you.
You can also find me on;
Twitter: @SeasonalShaheen