Saturday, 26 July 2014

Raw Vegan Raspberry Ice-Cream or Raspberry Mousse

The raspberries from my garden will be featuring in  recipes on my blog in the next few days, I hope you don't mind.  Yesterday it was Beetroot and Raspberry 'Bakewell' Bars, today it is a Ice-ream or Mousse of sorts.  Okay, so this is not strictly an 'ice'-cream as it contains no eggs, or cream.  I write ice-cream here as this recipe has a 'creamy smooth icy texture.  But if you leave it for a few hours after blending, it does soften and become mousse like too, so I was indecisive what to exactly call it, so the greedy blogger in me chose to describe it as both.
I made this in my Optimuum 9400 blender.  It is a powerful food blender which I am still experimenting with, you may have seen my hugely popular Carrot Ketchup and Carrot Pate but the one recipe I wanted to try is the appearing on most food bloggers blogs: blending with frozen bananas.  I mentioned learning of this nifty trick in my Raw Carrot Halwa Mousse recipe from raw and vegan recipe books many many years ago, this time it was with the inclusion of homegrown raspberries.



I am sharing this with Family Foodies hosted by Vanesther at Bangers and Mash and Louisa at Eat Your Veg.  The theme this month is Chill Out, Baby! And Julys edition of BSFIC : Holiday Themes hosted by  Kavey Eats.  Raspberries remind me of being in Scotland, what more can i say?!
Raw Vegan Raspberry Ice-cream or Raspberry Mousse
Serves 4
Ingredients
2 frozen bananas, chopped
210g raspberries, fresh or frozen
Method
Put into a blender and blitz until well combined.  
Carefully pour into glasses.  
Top with optional extra fresh raspberries and a dusting of dessicated coconut for effect.
Best eaten immediately on the day as an 'ice-cream'; or the day after as a mousse (just).

18 comments:

  1. Ah fab, another optimum 9400 user!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, its amazing what it can do.

      Delete
  2. Aah yes, been having fun with the Optimum 9400 myself, and used it to make my "Jungle Juice Sorbet", in same way. You've got a lovely colour there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm, I think I would like that better than the Raspberry and Beetroot combination!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. MMm don't think you will like my green vegetable smoothies then ; ) or Sweet Cake made with spinach :( It's okay, some things are hit and miss.

      Delete
  4. Sounds just right to cool off from the heat of a torrid summer day!
    Peace :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmm. So simple and fresh! I've been doing the frozen banana thing for quite awhile with my nutrition classes, but I tend to use the minimal amount of banana as I'm not keen on a banana taste - just its sweetness (I chuck in a couple of dates sometimes if something is particularly tart with it). Love the simplicity and quickness of this summer Froothie recipe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kellie.
      Yes, def. simple and fresh. I agree about the banana taste and will def. try and add some dates into the mix next time.

      Delete
  6. What a heavenly looking ice-cream-mousse - the colour is sensational. And I keep reading about instant ice-creams using frozen banana; sounds like such a neat trick. Definitely going to be trying this recipe out very soon. A perfect entry for July's #FamilyFoodies challenge. Thank you so much for linking up :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Vanesther.
      The colour is amazing for sure.

      Delete
  7. I'm in! I'll have some of that! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I Must give this a try in my Optimum 9400 blender - looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I do this al the time too,..so creamy yet tasty & more healthy too! I also love 2 frozen bananas, some raw cacao or carob powder & a splash of almond butter with it! MMMMMM!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sophie. I know, the recipe has been around for many many years, and popular one especially amongst Raw Fooders.

      Delete

Thank you so much for taking the time to read my blog! I will always try to reply, even if its a simple Thank you.
You can also find me on;
Twitter: @SeasonalShaheen