Monday, 28 July 2014

Vegan Rose Syrup and Rose Petal Jam Cake

I made this cake last week for Clandestine Cake Club hosted by Cardiff Clandestine Cake Club.  Although the theme was The Commonwealth Games, I dubbed it Vegan Indian Rose Cake, as it sounded a lot more evocative. 

I was really surprised at how much of a hit it was, as I thought it was quite a simple cake. The sponge batter was enhanced with rose syrup and ground almonds, then the bottom sponge base is generously coated with home-made Rose Petal Jam before kissing the other sponge base.  The Rose Petal Jam came courtesy of my lovely mother who had made it in advance for upcoming party celebrations.    
I had good intentions of putting vegan 'butter cream' icing around the cake, but dare not risk it with the weather being ridiculously hot.  I would have been worried if it would have travelled well to Cardiff in the car heat with the blazing sunshine.  So I decided to gently dust it with icing sugar as well as cover it here and there with some flaked almonds, as well as an edible rose.  The other cake in the picture is an Australian Chocolate Lamington, it was really good too, I took a slice home, as well as the others that included Jamaican Gingerbread and an Empire Cake that was strongly cardamon flavoured that it reminded me of Halwa, it was also delicious, that I decided to take a large piece home for my mother. 

There were a number of requests for the recipe of this vegan Indian Rose Cake including the Rose Petal Jam filling.   I am hoping to make this again at the weekend, and will plan to take slightly better photographs of it and then will also share the recipe soon.


  1. I'd love to have a slice of that! Rose jam sounds like something that I'd definitely want to try.

    1. Thank you Adi. I have no doubt you would love this and I wish I could share some with you.


If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You