Tuesday, 8 July 2014

Some new ingredients in my kitchen

A few new ingredients in my kitchen.  These include Freekeh a  burned green wheat, which I have already cooked with making a Freekah Pilau with homegrown vegetables including yellow mangetout.  

I've used quinoa many times in cooking before, namely for light salads or vegan burgers, but I have never used Red Quinoa, so am looking forward to trying that to see if it tastes any different. I've already used some of the Goji Berries in my Goji Berry Scones, but always welcome new recipe ideas. 
Also Nutritional yeast is a great flavour enhancer, I like to use it in my facon 'bacon' recipe and most recently in a vegan Spanakopita Spirals,.  
The Pear and Apple Fruit spread was lovely spread between the Goji Berry Scones and the Cashew Butter waits to be opened namely for bagels. 
I have harvested some vegetables and berries from my garden plot, this includes some strawberries. I've made a number of recipes already with them like Strawberry Risotto, but also have plans to make Strawberry Curd as well as more cakes
In the fridge, I also have some home-made Carrot and Coriander Hummus. I've a few more things to share including new kitchen  gadgets, but haven't got round to snapping a picture of them, so hopefully will do in time for next month.   I am sharing this post with Celia at Fig and Jam for In My Kitchen Series. 

Integrity statement  As a member of the Suma Bloggers Network, I will receive a selection of complimentary products from Suma Wholefoods every two months, to use in recipe development and will blog original recipes for the Network.

16 comments:

  1. Shaheen,
    Great additions to your pantry.
    We use the Nutritional Yeast instead of cheese, sometimes; and, it works great for certain recipes.
    Quinoa is a must. I agree.

    We haven't done much with Goji berries, yet.

    Have a Great One!

    Peace :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chandra.
      If you have an ideas, you know they will be most welcome.

      Delete
  2. That strawberry pic is gorgeous!
    I love making red pepper houmous. Blend some and leave some chunks in! So good! Your blog always makes me hungry! haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Claire.
      I don't often make red pepper hummus, must do so more.

      Delete
  3. Fantastic ingredients, It is always fun trying out new things! Thanks for sharing! Liz x

    ReplyDelete
  4. mmm your hummus sounds really good! did you post a recipe?

    ReplyDelete
  5. oops! never mind I found the link :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. that photo of the strawberry is so clear and makes me wish for a nice juicy strawberry - love all your new ingredients - I have come to really love nutritional yeast flakes but haven't used quinoa much lately - must amend that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Johanna, yes it is. The strawberries are not coming on fast now, I think the birds got most of them.

      Delete
  7. Hi Shaheen! Love Freekah and Red Quinoa. Just a little tip: make sure you really wash the red quinoa, it has more saponins then the white and can be very bitter. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for the tip Emily. I will ensure that I do so, been a little while since I have cooked with Qunio and would have likely to have forgotten

      Delete
  8. Shaheen, homegrown strawberries! We've tried and tried, but we can't seem to grow them - everything else eats them before we do. What a treat for you! What interesting dry ingredients you have this month - love the idea of goji berry scones! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Celia,
      Sorry that nature beats you to your strawberries, maybe grow them in pots. The goji berries were interesting. Always pleased to participate in IMK, thank you so much for hosting.

      Delete
  9. Shaheen, your assortment of ingredients is intriguing and inspiring! Thanks for the link to your Strawberry Curd, too -- that sounds like a flavorful way to preserve the season's bounty!

    ReplyDelete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You