Tuesday, 29 July 2014

Raw Raspberry Coconut Balls

I made these tasty little flavour bombs a fortnight back when the raspberries from my garden starting coming on thick and fast; and the World Cup football mania was still on peoples minds.  
I decided to take inspiration for these from my No Bake Carrot Granola Bites that I made last year; and blitz three simple ingredients in my Optimuum 9400 blender: Cashew nuts, raspberries and dates.  It worked fine, but visually mushed together these ingredients came out a little chocolate red from the dates and a tad sticky, so I went a step further and rolled them in dessicated coconut, hence the name Coconut Balls part and then refrigerated them to eat later. 
I had a feeling that D would not like these, don't ask why? Sometimes (wrongly I must admit) I just assume these things, but whilst he was sitting slumped on the sofa watching the footie, he shouted out at me 'These are quite nice'.
'Oh good' I said rather surprised.
The recipe below makes quite a lot and there is no way between the two of us, that we can eat them all, so I have frozen the others, and will bring out some when we need a burst of fruit injection in the mouth. 



Raw Raspberry Coconut Balls
Makes a lot, about 24
Ingredients
210g cashew nuts
140g fresh raspberries
120g soft dates

100g dessicated for coating
Method
In a food processor or high powered blender, blitz the cashew nuts first until they become ground, then throw in the remaining ingredients excluding the coconut and blitz briefly until its well combined, but not too much - you don;t want it to be too soft, just pliable.  Scrape into a bowl and using a tablespoon for measurement, roll out into balls. Then gently roll in dessicated coconut and refrigerate until ready to eat.
Can be frozen. 
Disclosure: Froothie has send me an Optimum 9400 blender to review, opinions are my own.

10 comments:

  1. I would never have thought of using fresh fruit with dates and nuts like this- but now I will try. We have a couple of Autumn-fruiting raspberry canes in the garden so I'll wait patiently to make these...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. You do need to eat them on the day, or freeze them. does work, we had some yesterday and were fine. I also have some autumn fruiting raspberries in the garden, too many if you ask me but will make the most of them this year. I hope you try these.

      Delete
  2. These sound great and I wouldn't have thought to freeze them but then again I guess a lot of raw treats keep well in the freezer - am sure you will love them when raspberry season is past and you have preserved some fruity goodness

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Johanna. I would never have put them in the freezer, I very rarely freeze dishes I've made, but there were way too many for us to eat, its okay from the freezer - i had some yesterday and they melted in the mouth.

      Delete
  3. Thank you for sharing this! I've been craving some fruits and this looks perfect as a summer snack as well.

    vegcourtesy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Adi, def. a good snack, change from naughty chocolate.

      Delete
  4. Adding the coconuts was inspired. They look great too. Nice recipe Shaheen :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice save turning them into balls! I love these type of little bliss/snack balls. I'll try your recipe, I'm sure the kids will love them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kate. I hope they like them.

      Delete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You