Tuesday, 24 January 2012

Double Boiler and Steamer

I have two double boilers.  You may know double boilers by another name - Bain Marie - a stove top cooking pot used to cook delicate sauces such as beurre blanc or to melt chocolate (for brownies), which is how I use it. It consists of an upper vessel containing the substance ie chocolate to be melted over the lower pot of water. When brought to a boil, the steam produced in the lower pot transfers heat to the upper pot and gently cooks the sauce or melts the chocolate.  

Both double boilers are second-hand.  I purchased the one below from Barras Market in Glasgow in the late 1990s while still a studen for £5 from an elderly couple who were selling a variety of used kitchen pots.   
Here is the link to the other double boiler that is made from pyrex.    I managed to bring it safely from Essex to Glasgow, now it has to be transported from Glasgow to Wales.  Will it survive the ride?!

I also have a steamer, that could do a similar job with a bowl suspended over it. 

But the steamer comes in handy for a number of things, not just steaming veg of course, but also making steamed puddings. Savoury ones such as Vegetarian Suet Mushroom Puddings and Leek Suet Pudding, also Sweet ones such as Steamed Lemon and Rosemary Pudding.

Do you have a double boiler or are you content with doing it the old way?

10 comments:

  1. I have a ranges of different sized pans and different sized random bowls that happen to fit in them! I'm quite envious of you having a proper Bain Marie, but my pans and bowls combo has worked alright for the last 25 years!!!
    Hope your house move goes well and we'll see you again once you're settled.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nutty Gnome.
      You can't really argue with a pan over bowl combo. I used that method all the time until I acquired the Bain Marie.

      Delete
  2. Oooh that's what a double boiler looks like! Dad has a steamer like yours for doing steamed veg as part of Sunday roasts. Yum. Must get one. Would never had occurred to either of us to use it for puddings though.
    I hope all your gadgets, gizmos and kitchenalia survive your move. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Plummy Mummy.
      I am nervous about our things arriving in one piece. Its the first time we've ever had to move significant home stuff - I hope there is not too much damage and the removal company we use are fair and good. I'll def. be leaving a review: good or bad, hopefully good.

      Delete
  3. I have a double boiler which I wouldn't be without. Also have a steamer which is in constant use. Suzy

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have such a nice collection of kitchen implements, Shaheen. I do use a double boiler. It was a gift from a friend many years ago - a copper pot with a ceramic inside pot - although the ol' bowl-in-a-pan method works just as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barbara,
      your double boiler sounds like a real antique.

      Delete
  5. I never thought these were words I'd ever utter, but I appear to have double boiler envy. That glass one is a work of art!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Janie,
      I know how that feels. I used to have it too when I did not have one. Hope you can find one.

      Delete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You