Saturday, 28 January 2012

Salad Spinners, Colanders and Strainers

Not the most interesting of kitchen gadgets, but necessary: a salad spinner and a number of colanders.

I remember my late father-in-law laughing at us when we said we wanted a salad spinner.  He hushed pretty quickly when my husband (his son) demonstrated the wonders of washed homegrown salad leaves spinning off excess water, enabling you to make soggy-free sandwiches.  This particular Salad Spinner was a little on the pricey side, but I managed to get mine in a sale.  I like it for two reasons, its one handed spinning operation - you press down on the black rubber knob and it spins effortlessly and secondly, its non slip.  My only qualm about it, smaller salad leaves sometimes gets stuck in the basket, so you have to work a little to clean it.  Otherwise, its been an excellent buy, I've had it now for over 8 years I think.    
 I also have a variety of sized colanders, or are they called strainers. 
Indispensable in the kitchen for draining cooked potatoes, pasta, rice, beans - oh lots of things.   The smallest one on top is often used for draining canned chick peas and making chickpea hummus.

I also have a very post colander hand-made from pottery.  Its designed specifically for strawberries, but I've decided to share that with you some time in the future.

10 comments:

  1. I love my salad spinner too! And like you, I thought they were ridiculously expensive for what they were, but wouldn’t be without it now for when I have to rinse any muddy salad leaves off. Somehow the spinning not only gets rid of all the water but seems to ‘perk’ them up!!

    All the best Shaheen with the imminent house move too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dragonette,
      About 10 more days and counting down.

      Delete
  2. Looking at the picture of your spinner I have exactly the same at home! I bought it in France some time ago and it works wonders.
    I use it almost every day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so so much Alida.
      Good to know you have a similar type and are liking it.

      Delete
  3. I *LOVE* my OXO salad spinner. I thought it was a ridiculous price but was quickly coverted to believing it is worth every penny. I've had mine for about 8 years, I think. Still functions just as well as day 1 and doesn't appear worn, despite the fact it is in constant use. I love the 'stop' button too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. RuckusButt - yeph we def. have the same one :)

      Delete
  4. Thanks for popping by and leaving a comment.
    Hope you have some sun this weekend.
    I will be back to check out your veg recipes. My son is starting to get a bit picky where food is concerned so I need to check out ways to make the veg interesting.
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, you have so many gadgets! :) Where do you keep them all?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bryallen,
      Check out my kitchen and you'll see where they used to be.
      http://allotment2kitchen.blogspot.com/2012/01/my-tiny-eclectic-kitchen.html

      And those not in the kitchen are tucked in cabinets in the living room.

      Delete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You