Friday, 27 January 2012

An Orishigane and Other Graters

I have a number of odd graters.

The first and most reliable is obviously your bog standard box grater.  I am fussy with the way my  cheese sandwiches are made.  I don't like cheese slices between my wholemeal bread, I am a grated cheese sandwich kind of girl.  D often rolls his eyes at me, but i find grating the cheese accentuates the flavour more, whereas slices just offer texture.  I also use it for grating vegetable, namely carrots for Carrot cake or parsnips for Parsnip Cake.  So this box grater has seen lots of use, sadly the handle has come loose, so I'll be looking out for replacement. 
The ceramic one is known as a Orishigane (or Oroshigane). Its a Japanese grater, very different from the European ones.  First is has very fine tooth like spikes dotted over the surface and secondly, they are not perforated.  The grated vegetable: whether its diakon (radish), garlic, ginger, nutmeg, or wasabi  (horseradish)  is not pressed through the holes, but is rubbed over the spikes in a circular motion and thus remains clinging to the surface of the grater so that it can be turned into a very fine paste.  If you are ever fortunate to visit Japan, I know you can purchase some novelty shaped Japanese graters.  The only drawback with an Orishigane is cleaning it, a bit like a garlic presser, but I have since learned that a bamboo brush would sort that out.  
I have a small grater designed solely for nutmeg.  And a a couple of fancy microplane graters - that cost me a fare bit at the time.  Its good for finely grating a Parmesan style cheese over pasta or chocolate over a really indulgent Chocolate cake. 

If you don't mind me asking, how many graters do you have?  I do hope I am not the only one with a drawers full.

21 comments:

  1. I couldn't live without my nutmeg grater. I put nutmeg in everything! (well, lots of things)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol, I thought I was the only one with a grater collection ;) My favorite is the little plane grater I use to zest citrus.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We only have 2 - a box grater and small one (similar to the one you use for nutmeg). I've never heard of a Orishigane but then again my husband does most of the cooking :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Goodness - I had no idea there were so many different kinds of graters!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have about 2 graters! Don't you just love kitchen gadgets?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay for kitchen gadgets, I am so glad I am not an IT wizz.

      Delete
  6. I have one of those ceramic graters but I thought it was only for nutmeg. I'll have to try ginger on it! I also have a regular grater and a microplane zester.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh dear, I have all the graters you have except the Japanese one (and I'll get my daughter to bring one back!) I also have a bamboo ginger grater which is indispensible and a couple of less used rotational mouli style devices.

    I'm not including the mandolin as I took the top off my finger the first and only time I ever used it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mal,
      I so hope your daughter brings back one for you. I enby your bamboo grater, I just love the feel of natural material.

      PS I also have a mouli-thingy that hardly ever gets used. In fact I just discovered it whilst packing for the home move. Plus a mandolin, which I use all the time, I am ver careful - no cuts so far x
      Kind wishes

      Delete
  8. I love my microplane graters - I have three. I like a good box grater too. I have a Tupperware grater - so there is a plastic bowl with a grip surface and the top is the grater. You can only fit about 2 cups of grated material, so I have to empty it sometimes if I am grating a lot, but it's perfect most of the time. I have heard that using plastic wrap on an oroshigane helps to get all your ginger off and with cleaning. I don't have one, so I haven't tried it. It seems like you might get plastic in your ginger if you don't grate just right. Maybe worth a shot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the tip Jen. I will have to try it out.

      Delete
  9. Thanks for your comment on my blog- hope the move goes well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your welcome, I came by as one of my readers was asking questions about salt pigs.

      Delete
  10. Like you I have lots of different graters...one I use for ginger that came free with a bottle of Tamari sauce, another (like yours a microplane) for parmesan another little box with a grater lid for cheddar. or vegetables...I've just kind of acquired them over the years and they seem fallen in to place to do a particular job. I've just checked and I have four in total.

    The Orishigane grater is so pretty I might ask my nephew's Japanese girlfriend to bring me one back next time she goes home.

    I hope the move goes smoothly and that you'll be very happy in your new home.
    Debx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debby,
      So hope your nephews girlfriend get you one in the future.
      ~Thanks for the warm wishes for home moving. I can't wait to leave the constant cold rain behind now.

      Delete
  11. Five! Large box grater, small box grater, plane grater and nutmeg grater, plus a small enclosed fine one that is excellent for grating zest, which I freeze until I have enough for whatever I want to use it for.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jane,
      Five - whoopie - I feel so much better knowing I am not the only one with loads.

      Delete
  12. I have a box grater, a microplane for zest and parmesan and the best one of all.....my food processors 3 grater attachments, that mean I can do a HUGE block of cheese in seconds and store it in the freezer ready for immediate use anytime.

    Sue xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sue.
      You know what I have a food processor too, but It rarely comes out as I my kitchen was small. due to change, so like you I'll soon be able to whizz grated cheese in seconds - won't be able to freeze it though, my freezer is v. small.

      Delete
  13. See Shaheen, you're not alone...personally I have two box graters, (one with a broken handle that looks exactly like yours) two different sizes of microplane, a nutmeg grater plus a mandolin that only I am allowed to use...due to my daughter taking the top off her little finger...but not too badly, just enough to give her a phobia when she sees it! :$

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Neesie,
      I do feel so much better for not being a hoarder of kitchen things. I also have a mandolin, am very careful when using it as I think in the early days I cut myself too, so understand your daughters reservations. I think its important not to get 'eagerly enthused' with its slicing action and be calm during the process.

      Delete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You