Sunday, 22 January 2012

American Cups and Measuring Spoons

Alongside my kitchen scales, I also have some American cups that come in handy for making  recipes from my American cook books and for making muffins.  For those of you who have been reading my blog a while, will know that I prefer muffins to cupcakes.  So these plastic measuring cups have been used a lot!

I also have steel cups, but I am not so keen on them. 
Unfortunately after years of good use, the plastic¼ cup and the1 full cup eventually snapped.  If you look closer (above), you will also note that the remaining cups are held together with jute string.  So you can imagine my delight when I was contacted by find me a gift, an on-line retailer to review Russian Doll American-style Measuring Cups, a perfectly timed and a quirky replacement.
These Russian dolls measuring cups come in 6 sizes from ¼, 1/3, ½, 2/3, ¾ and 1 cup.  They are made from food safe, long-life and heavy duty plastics.  I was at first a little bemused at the measurements.  When pulled apart - both parts: the head part and the body part served as measuring  cups.    I like how they stack up inside of each other, saving space in a small kitchen.  My only qualm with these are that they don't have handles, so your hands will get covered in a little flour, but hey that's part of baking isn't it?! So I won't grumble too much.

If you don want to use these Russian Dolls for cooking or baking, I think they can look pretty simply displayed and can easily hold some spices like nutmeg, cloves; or even some jewellery, like ear-rings and rings.
Psst I think these Russian Dolls would make a lovely Valentine gift for the baker in your home.

14 comments:

  1. I have a set of measuring spoons I got years ago in a christmas cracker.They are used all the time and still going strong. I have a glass container with cup measurements marked up one side and liquids on the other.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well the Russian dolls certainly have character, which is more than can be said for the average measuring-spoon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep, I do love cup measurements - it makes baking so much quicker! The Russian dolls are cute, too :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. If I'd known your measuring cups were held together with jute, I would have sent some though I have to say they would not be as cute as your Russian Dolls. Let me know if you'd like some regular replacements.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These Russian doll measuring cups are adorable. Do they make them for European measurements, too? This American would find that truly helpful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Intuitive Eggplant,
      So good to hear from you.
      I don't think so.

      Delete
  6. I have those Russian doll cups :) I use some standard plastic ones more often for actual baking purposes, but I love having them on display.

    Your reference to 'American cups' threw me. Are there different sizes for UK measuring cups, or are measuring cups just not common there? Measurements in cup amounts are common in Australia and I thought they were universal!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kari,
      Yeah there are oz, lb, and grams in the U.K. And the American and Australian Cups are different in sizes too. I think Canadian ones may be different too. Certainly not universal.

      Delete
  7. I've lusted after those russian doll measures for ages but now I see you describe them as american I am disappointed - I don't mind American spoon measurements but draw the line at American cups because I like our slightly bigger Australian cup measures that I have always used - ours is 250ml which just seems more metric than 240ml!

    ReplyDelete
  8. How great - I love these. So unique.

    http://www.balletpumpsandroses.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. They're so cute, I've never seen anything like them before, though I agree that it would be easier if they had handles.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My sister in law gave me the Russian doll ones for Christmas! I love them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay, what a cool gift. Have you used them? How do you find them?

      Delete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You