Sunday, 1 January 2012

Baked Carrot-Parsnip Quenelles

May I wish you all a Very Happy, happy New Year and thank those of you who left warm wishes on the previous posts. Each comment has been truly appreciated.  I personally have never looked forward to a new year as I am this one.  So to welcome the new year, new beginnings and change, I have changed my blog header that will gently lull my transition from Scotland to Wales in the next month or so.  Today though I am enjoying the company of family, playful nephews and nieces and good food.

As its a day of celebrations and one of tucking into posh looking edible morsels, I am pretentiously calling these Carrot-Parsnip Quenelles, but the homely cook in me has to admit that they are essentially just wintry oven baked fritters. 
These Carrot-Parsnip Quenelles are actually based on some Sweet Potato Falafels I made a few years back.  Although these can be reheated, I think they are best eaten fresh from the oven on the day that they are made.

I am sharing a plate full of these rooty bites with Ricki at Diet, Dessert, Dogs for her Wellness Weekend: 29th December 2011- 2nd January 2012.  

Carrot and Parsnip Baked Quenelles
Makes about 16 - 20
600g carrots and parsnip,s peeled and sliced
1 -2 cloves of garlic, crushed
1 ½ teaspoons of ground cumin
½ teaspoon of ground coriander
½ teaspoon cayenne
Juice of ½ lemon
120g besan, gram flour also known as chickpea flour
Olive oil to coat the baking tray
Optional 20g fresh herb, chopped
Optional: Generous sprinkling of sesame seeds
Salt and pepper to taste

Either roast or steam the root vegetables, until very tender.  Allow to cool.  Then put the soft root vegetables along with the garlic, and mash well.  Then add the spices, lemon juice, herb if using and chickpea flour and combine well, so this either with a spatula or your hands.  Season well, and mash lightly until you have a smooth mix with no chunks. Put the bowl into the fridge to allow the mixture to firm up for about an hour.
Oil a baking tray.
Turn the oven to gas mark 6.
Using a couple of large spoons, put a well heaped spoonful of mix in one spoon and use the concave side of the other to shape the sides. Or use a falafel shaper and put onto oiled tray.
Or use a falafel shaper to put onto oiled tray. 
Sprinkle the optional sesame seeds on top and bake in the oven. 
After 15 minutes, flip them over and give it another 5 minutes until golden.   


  1. Ah, now I discovered a glut of parsnips at the bottom of the veg drawer yesterday and couldn't stomach any more roast and creamy versions, so this will do me nicely, thank you. Just got to rummage around for an old carrot somewhere ;)

  2. I wish you an adventurous new year! Cool that you're moving to Wales. I hope you like it there!


  3. What a nice header! I love that welsh dragon!
    I wish you the best in your new home.

    P.S. I love that dish!

  4. Love the new header and good luck with the move, may it bring you and D much happiness. x

  5. Happy New Year and a good move to Wales to you and yours!

    I like the sound of these 'quenelles', will definately be baking some of these, especially as they are a bit on the spicy side.

    Sandie xx

  6. I hope the new year is good for you both. enjoy your visit.

  7. that is such a great idea! I've got a whole load of root veggies in my fridge now and i was plannin to just go roast them all up the usual way, but this is a brilliant recipe to use them up instead! I like those indian veg fritters, but hate deep frying because it's just so messy and oily, so this is the perfect alternative!

  8. Yum! I love carrots and parsnips. I like your new Welsh banner, too. Happy 2012!

  9. Wishing you a healthy, happy, and prosperous New Year!

  10. Oooh, what delicious looking treats! I love making fritters, but have never tried oven baking them (far too impatient & greedy to preheat the oven!). I'll be giving them a try (and maybe a beetroot version too!)
    happy new year, dear friend. And good luck, i hope 2012 brings you good health and happiness!

  11. happy new year shaheen - love the new welsh banner - and love your quenelles - hope you had a good trip down south - your food sounded so much better than anything you could buy - enjoy spending the new year with family and hope the weather is a wee bit kinder

  12. I love fancy fritters! :-) These are so beautiful!

    Your new Wales-themed blog banner is awesome!!

  13. Happy New Year Shaheen and all the best with the move x

  14. Those look really tasty and definitely good winter food. Happy new year!

  15. I love your recipes, although I have yet to make any of them. That is a goal in 2012 as part of my healthy eating campaign. You very kindly left a message on my blog a while ago (at least I think it was you!!) and I wasn't able to reply because I hadn't quite got the hang of comments and replys. If fact I am surprised I have got this far with this comment and am prepared for it not to be sent - again. But then you won't know either way. Anyway, thank you for your lovely blog and the wonderful recipes I am going to be trying.

  16. This is my fifth attempt at posting another comment. I have no idea what I am doing wrong but it won't 'take' on your 3 jan blog so am doing it here again in the hope...... Anyway it was nice to hear from you. I just wanted to say good luck with your interview. I hope it all turns out how you would wish it to be - for the job, the kitchen and the garden. I understand those longings. Best of luck.

  17. I've enjoyed reading your blog and lovely recipes - hope all goes really well for you in 2012! Best of luck, Rachel

  18. Love the new header! All the best with the move and happy new year!


If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You