Sunday, 29 January 2012

Peelers and Mashers

One gadget I would not now be without in my kitchen is a peeler.  Its not just good for peeling potatoes, but carrots, parsnips, swede, apples, pears and even butternuts squash too.  There is no waste with this peeler, peeling off only the tough skin.

D often moans about some of my gadgets not being left handed person friendly like the tin opener or a manual whisk, but not this good grip peeler that peels effortlessly.  I didn't buy this.   I acquired it when I was a student still living in student accommodation.  Well that's been over 12 years now and this still works well, the blades still sharp as the day I inherited it.  
After peeling the root vegetable ( and cooking) comes the masher.  I have a number of mashers: plastic ones, metal ones and even wooden ones.  I've never liked the standard metal handle ones.  I always seem to assert too much pressure on them and they bend and the plastic ones are always a nuisance to clean.  I do however adore my vintage (or is it retro) wooden masher and use it a lot.  Sometimes to make mashed potatoes, even chickpea hummus.   
The last time I used it was for the Baked Carrot-Parsnip Quenelles.
The masher is also good for pounding cooked beans - for refried beans.  The small dark one in the middle is often used for mashing soft fruit.

How many mashers do you have in your kitchen? 

12 comments:

  1. I have the same peeler - I love it. And I have four mashers. I cannot part with any of them. Love your blog. I'll be back!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so so much Penny Saver.

      Delete
  2. Wow! Those mashers are cool, they look historical! I have one cheap masher, which I purchased when I realised I didn't have a masher and I was tired of trying to do mashed potato with a fork :p x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't mind texture in my mash, but D hates it - so the masher is necessary.

      Delete
  3. I did not know there were so many different types of mashers. I only have one which I use when making mashed potatoes.

    Love the head photo of your blog!
    Thanks for stopping by my blog, and for your nice comment :)
    Hilde.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for repaying the compliment by coming by mine.

      Delete
  4. I have several mashers - but agree, always a pest to wash. I love your wooden mashers/pounders, these would be so much easier to keep clean. I have recently purchased a ricer (is that how you spell it?)hoping for some beautifully smooth potatoes - I haven't used it yet but can see it will be equally difficult to wash.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Magnolia,
      Whilst packing for the move, I found a potato ricer in one of my cupboards. I think I have used it once. Will be making more use of it when I move. Hope you get to use yours soon.

      Delete
  5. Hi Shaheen,
    We have two peelers (one that my mom gave me + one that we bought), 2-3 mashers. We do not have a fruit masher like yours. Actually, they remind me of the device used for churning butter.

    Anyhow, hope all is well.

    Take care.
    Chandra

    ReplyDelete
  6. Where did you get your retro/vintage mashers? I hate the metal and plastic ones as I always end up with lumpy mash. I've resorted to the potato ricer which does a great job but is a faff to clean. I'll be looking out for a wooden masher. Good luck with the move. GG

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh GG,
      Now your asking - I honestly can't remember. But I have seen many about at Antique fairs. If you look on ebay, I saw some on there too.

      Delete
  7. never seen wooden mashers before and our potato peelers break too often and then it isn't that easy to find a good new one - maybe I need a good grips (had a great garlic crusher from good grips for ages and it broke after many years - then I bought another from them and it broke soon after so am less sure about them these days). I have a potato masher that I love because its shape stops so much stuff getting caught in it but now I want a wooden one

    ReplyDelete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You