Thursday, 19 January 2012

Motion Rocking Mezzaluna

Now this is not a kitchen essential, but like many people when I saw Nigella rocking the one she acquired quite elegantly in Nigella Bites, I knew I had to have one too.  Well I actually have two now: a single blade and a double blade, but its the double blade one that i use often for chopping herbs finely and sometimes chocolate.  I know this task can easily be acquire by the rocking of a good knife, but I do like my mezzaluna and cannot imagine my kitchen being without it now. 

For those of you unfamiliar with this Italian gadget, I'd describe a mezzaluna is a rocking- chopping knife with handles that consists of either a single or double curved blade.  You may already know this but mezzaluna translated in Italian means 'half moon', named so because of its crescent shape. 
My mother had something similar when I was a child that she would use for chopping mustard leaves, spinach and other greens.  It had a curved blade and only one handle. I asked her about it recently and she can't remember what happened to it.  

Do you have a mezzaluna in your kitchen? Or are you content with just using your knives?

12 comments:

  1. I used to have one but gave it to my sister who loves it and uses it regularly. I got in an awful mess with it with bits flying here there and everywhere!!! Perhaps I'm just messy. I seem to be able to cope with the knives though and fortuately have a good set. Suzy x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have seen this being used by Nigella but never knew that its called Mezzaluna. Nope, I don't have one in my kitchen and am quite happy with the set of knives for my cooking. But of course I always keep my options open to trying new equipment and never know, I may want to purchase one in the near future.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have one I bought years ago. It is always been known as the rocker chopper. It's doesn't get much use now that I can manage to chop with a knife. I always let the Boys use it when they were younger to chop herbs for me. I felt is was safer for little fingers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As a proper Italian I do have a mezzaluna. My grandmother and my mother always owned one like every household in Italy.
    As you say it is a very useful tool to have and makes it easier to chop vegetables.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think your messaluna's are absolutely beautiful. Such satisfaction, chopping up chocolate and herbs with tools like that.Beautiful craftsmanship. I want one now ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I so love a mezzaluna I can't believe I have bought as gifts for everyone else except myself. I first saw them being demonstrated by Nigella.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Shaheen,
    Yes I love my mezzaluna. I wouldn’t be without it for chopping my herbs such as Thyme and Parsley. There is something rather soothing and therapeutic in using that rocking motion to chop with. But mine is just a single blade-now I want a double one too!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. No - I don't, but it looks really useful. Thanks for the tip - I may have to invest !

    http://wwwballetpumpsandroses.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. My Granny has one of these for chopping fresh herbs. It always intrigued me when I was younger.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just use my knives, but I've always wanted to invest in a mezzaluna.

    ReplyDelete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You